Chennai: In another setback for actor Kamal Haasan, the Madras High Court on Wednesday set aside the interim order given by a judge on Tuesday. The film will not be released in the state till February 6.
This came even as Kamal Haasan, after a meeting with some Muslim leaders, agreed to cut some scenes from the film. Haasan on Wednesday said he has agreed to delete some scenes from his controversial film Vishwaroopam, caving into pressure building on him from various groups that claimed the Tamil-Hindi bilingual about international terrorism hurt the sentiments of Muslims.
Meanwhile, tension prevailed in Tamil Nadu over 'Vishwaroopam' as protestors hurled petrol bombs at two theatres in the Ramanathapuram district. The two theatres were scheduled to screen Vishwaroopam. There were reports of petrol bombs being hurled at theatres in Chennai and other areas across Tamil Nadu.
The Madras High Court on Wednesday set aside the interim order given by a judge on Tuesday lifting the ban on Vishwaroopam.
Earlier in the day, Haasan made an emotional pitch ahead of the Madras High Court's final decision on the release of his film. "I have explored all possibilities with my Muslim brothers. Now it's up to the court to decide. I only request to the government that they maintain law and order is in place, that nothing untoward happens to my Muslim fans," he told reporters.
He said he and the leaders of the groups that objected to his film agreed to sort the issue amicably. "I have been given a list of scenes; I don't want it to be marred by someone's confusion. I have agreed for certain cuts," he said. "My emotional family has reached out to me, I promise anything for my brothers," he said.
The Madras High Court's order staying the release of the film came after the Tamil Nadu government challenged the court's interim order on Tuesday of lifting the stay on Haasan's 'Vishwaroopam'.
The film was banned in the state on the insistence of some Muslim organisations which felt that it depicted the community in poor light. But Kamal Haasan got a late night relief from the Madras High Court on Tuesday after the court decided to put in abeyance the prohibitory orders issued by the Tamil Nadu government to delay the film's release. However, the order has now been challenged by the state government.
- TN: Petrol bombs hurled at two theatres scheduled to screen Vishwaroopam
- Have agreed to cut some scenes from Vishwaroopam, says Kamal Haasan