Male: There is no relief for former Maldives president Mohammed Nasheed as the coutry's high court has refused to stay the arrest warrant against him. The warrant was issued against the former president by a court in Maldives after he failed to turn up in the court on Monday in connection with the alleged illegal detention of judge Abdullah Gazi.
Nasheed had earlier sought refuge at the Indian embassy. However, sources said that he hadn't sought an asylum. The former president also posted a tweet saying, "Mindful of my own security and stability in the Indian Ocean, I have taken refuge at the Indian High Commission in Maldives."
Reacting to the reports, Maldivian President Office spokesperson Masood Imad said, "As of now he is just visiting the Indian High Commission. We will wait and watch. We have no reason now to say he has taken refuge there."
Imad further said, "The Indian government is fully aware of what Nasheed has been doing. The Indian government will make a wise decision."
Talking about the situation, Hamid Abdul Ghafoor, spokesperson for the Maldivian Democratic Party, said it was too early to say on the political asylum issue. He further said, "I believe that Nasheed wants India government to help. Indians are best suited to help."
Reacting to the development, foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai said, "Nasheed has said he needs our assistance. We are talking to him, then we will talk to the government of Maldives."