Manchester City\'s rebel striker Carlos Tevez left Argentina for England on Monday.
Manchester: Manchester City's rebel striker Carlos Tevez left Argentina for England on Monday taking manager Roberto Mancini's olive branch with one hand and hurling an accusation he was treated "like a dog" with the other.
The 28-year-old is heading back to the Premier League club that he has not played for since September after defying Italian Mancini's instruction to warm up during the Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich.
Speaking for the first time since returning home to Argentina without City's permission in November, Tevez gave his version of what happened in Germany.
He said Mancini had been arguing with striker Edin Dzeko, who had just been substituted when the manager approached Tevez.
"He saw me on the bench and as he was angry, he sent me again like a dog to warm up. Because he said it to me in a bad tone I refused," Tevez said in an interview with Fox Sports on Monday. "The club never told the truth publicly about what really happened and that's why I was angry."
His anger prompted him "to grab my things and come (to Argentina) without telling the club. I was upset by the situation and needed to be with my family."
But after failing to clinch a move away from City in the January transfer window, Tevez wants to settle his differences with the club.
"I've decided to return for personal reasons and turn around the situation and win over the fans," he said. "They turned on me after what happened with Bayern because they were poorly informed."
Mancini said at the time Tevez was "finished" at the league leaders, but has since opened the door for a return by hinting the striker could still play a part in their pursuit of a first league title since 1968, provided he apologizes for his insubordination that is believed to have cost him around 10 million Pounds in fines or lost earnings.
Tevez said on Monday he would gladly play for the club again if Mancini was serious about having him back, and was aware he would have to pull out all the stops to win over fans who have burned their former captain's shirts in anger at his behaviour.
"If I was wrong, I say sorry. I sincerely believe I did not make a mistake," he added. "If it's true (Mancini would welcome me back), of course I like that, if it's (meant) for the media, no."
"I'm prepared to go back and put on the City shirt. I'm going to train, to give my all and be available (for selection)," he said in his first interview since his unauthorised return to Argentina in November after being banned by the club.
"I can imagine myself going on to the field and I'm going to have to be brilliant (to win over the critics). It's not going to be easy for me nor the fans."
However, in Monday's interview, Tevez still appeared to be upset about Mancini's role in their rift and it remains to be seen if the Italian will receive the apology he has asked for. Tevez said the City manager was wrong to air their disagreement in public. The 28-year-old felt Mancini could have dealt with him behind closed doors, but instead aired the problem that existed between the two men.
"The problems should always be resolved in the dressing room. There the coach made a mistake," Tevez said. "We have had arguments before, we almost came to blows last season (but) he's a winner and so am I."
An adviser to Tevez's representative Kia Joorabchian, Paul McCarthy, told Reuters the player was returning to England and could be playing for City in the next two-to-three weeks.
"There have been some very sensible discussions which have taken place in, probably, the last 10 days and I have to say there has been a thawing on both sides."
"Carlos wants to be back, he wants to be playing football again. Roberto Mancini has more than opened the door for him. Now it's a case of him getting his fitness back."
"He is due back in England on Tuesday and hopefully will start training this week," McCarthy said. "He has not just been playing golf in Argentina, he has done a lot of fitness work too, but is probably still two or three weeks away from being match-fit."
Mancini strongly hinted on Sunday that Tevez could still play a role for City.
"Everyone knows Carlos is a top player. If he was here and playing, it would be better because Carlos can change games," Mancini said.
Tevez was the joint-leading scorer in the league last season, with Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov, with 20 goals but City have coped with his absence, scoring 64 goals in 25 games - the most in the division.
However, with Dzeko's form having dipped since the first few months of the season, having a fully fit Tevez as an option for upcoming Premier League and Europa League games will provide Mancini with added firepower up front.
Returning to fitness and featuring for City would put Tevez back in the shop window ahead of a possible move in the summer, with big-spending French team Paris Saint-Germain remaining a potential destination.
Tevez has appeared in three Premier League games this season and last appeared for the club in a League Cup win over Birmingham on September 21.
He captained City last season, when the team ended their 35-year trophy drought by beating Stoke 1-0 to win the FA Cup at Wembley.