New Delhi: Maruti Suzuki India will resume partial operations in its Manesar plant on Tuesday amidst heavy security, a month after violence claimed the life of a top official and injured 100 others while leaving a trail of destruction.
Only 300 permanent workers will resume duty on Tuesday and the company will operate single-shift till the time the management decides to ramp up output from the plant.
"We are reopening the plant with 300 workers. With this workforce, we will operate just a single shift from 8am to 4:30 pm," Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) Chief Operating Officer (Administration) SY Siddiqui said.
Commenting on the security arrangements at the plant, Senior Superintendent of Police Yogender Nehra said 200 police personnel have been deployed exclusively for the facility.
Nehra, who is also the in-charge of the battalion that had been deployed at IMT (Industrial Model Township) Manesar following the July 18 violence at the plant, said these personnel would be supervised by a Deputy Superintendent Police (DSP) rank officer.
Haryana police have also provided 40 personal security officers (PSOs) for senior management officials of MSI. The company has also strengthened its own security arrangements and has deployed 100 security guards. It had declared an indefinite lock-out at the plant on July 21.
From Tuesday, initially about 150 cars will be rolled out every day instead of 1,500-1,700 units earlier. MSI has decided to sack 500 permanent workers, who were allegedly found to be involved in the violence. Besides, MSI is also said to be planning to remove another 500 contract workers over their alleged role in the violence and arson.
Prior to the incident, the plant had an employee strength of 3,300, of which 1,528 were permanent.
(With additional information from PTI)