New Delhi: The Manmohan Singh Cabinet is set for a major makeover on Sunday. This is expected to be the last big Cabinet reshuffle before the 2014 General Elections, and this time, the theme privileges young blood over the old guard. The embattled Law Minister, Salman Khurshid is the frontrunner for the Ministry of External Affairs, the post left vacant after SM Krishna resigned. Commerce Minister Anand Sharma is also in the race for the post.
Meanwhile, Ashwani Kumar is likely to get the Law Ministry, while Pawan Kumar Bansal could get the coveted Railways portfolio. Corporate Affairs Minister Veerappa Moily is likely to be shifted to Petroleum Ministry while Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath is expected to be moved to Parliamentary Affairs.
Rural Development Minister Jaipal Reddy could get the Science and Technology portfolio while Harish Rawat is likely to become the new Health Minister.
Old guard make way for young blood
A host of new and young faces are expected to make an entry into the Union Cabinet, some of them being elevated from their earlier positions. The first among them is Shashi Tharoor. He is likely to make a comeback two years after he quit the Cabinet over the IPL controversy. Jyotiraditya Madhavrao Scindia could get the Cabinet berth of Corporate Affairs. Minister of State Sachin Pilot could be moved to Sports Ministry.
Ajay Maken and Milind Deora are also likely to be elevated. Congress Spokesperson Manish Tewari may become the new Minister of Information and Broadcasting, the post left vacant after Ambika Soni resigned. Deepa Dasmunsi, Tariq Anwar, Pradip Bhattacharya, Ranee Narah, Hemanand Biswal, Jyoti Mirdha are among the others who could get a place in the Cabinet as well.
Telangana tangle: 10 ministers from AP in the new Cabinet?
This is the fifth major Cabinet reshuffle during UPA-II's tenure and looks like Andhra Pradesh is going to be given special treatment. The state is set to have as many as 10 ministers in the Union Cabinet. A move that's being seen as the Congress's way of compensating for the Telangana separate statehood demand.
Here is a list of who could be those ministers:
- Southern film star-turned-politician Chiranjeevi who recently joined the Congress party is likely to get Tourism.
- D Purandeswari could get the Commerce Ministry and MM Pallam Raju could be given the HRD Ministry.
- Krupa Rani, Surya Prakash Reddy and Balram Naik are others from Andhra Pradesh likely to be included in the Cabinet.
List of ministers by states
MM Pallam Raju
K Krupa Rani
K Surya Prakash Reddy
Pawan Kumar Bansal
Jammu and Kashmir
Ghulam Nabi Azad
M Veerappa Moily
Jyotiraditya Madhavrao Scindia
Vilas Baburao Muttemwar
Srikant Kumar Jena
Abu Hasem Khan Choudhury
7 ministers who resigned
- Ambika Soni and Mukul Wasnik resigned as Information and Broadcasting minister and Social Justice Minister, respectively, on Saturday saying they will work for the party instead.
- Subodh Kant Sahai resigned as the Tourism Minister.
- SM Krishna resigned as the External Affairs Minister stating that he will work for the party in Karnataka.
- Vincent Pala, Agatha Sangma and Mahadeo Singh Kandela are amongst others who have resigned.
Two days left in winter session, fate of Insurance, Coal Bills hang in balance
J&K exit poll: PDP may win 36-41 seats, BJP 16-22, NC & Congress 9-13 each, no seat for BJP in Valley
Jharkhand exit poll: BJP-AJSU may get 37-43 seats, JVM 12-16, JMM 10-14, Congress 4-6