Chennai: Michael Clarke was the only Australian to score a century in their 0-4 whitewash in the Test series in India earlier this year. None of the Aussies had a clue which way the ball was spinning and succumbed to the pressure exerted by the spinners. Had Michael Hussey not retired and played that series, it could have been a different story - IPL 6 is testifying for that.
Australia's premature loss is turning out to be Chennai Super Kings' gain, with Hussey turning it on for the two-time champions in IPL 6. After Sunday's 95-run showpiece against Kolkata Knight Riders, he is now just five runs shy of eclipsing Chris Gayle from the top of the run-scorers' list.
Hussey's amazing run of consistency, which now includes four fifties in the current edition and 10 overall, has put Chennai just one win away from breaking their previous record of five wins in a row. This and many more statistics make Hussey and CSK two special features of the Indian Premier League. Have a look:
Hussey's amazing run now includes four fifties, putting him just five runs shy of eclipsing Gayle to become the top scorer this season.
- Hussey (95 off 59 balls) posted his 10th IPL fifty in the match against Kolkata on Sunday, which also made him the first batsman to record four fifties in the present tournament. The 95 he scored against Kolkata was also the highest by a Chennai player in IPL 6 so far.
- On Sunday, Hussey took his tally of runs to 445 (average 74.16) in eight matches, only behind the 450 (average 90.00) scored by Chris Gayle in nine games.
- Hussey got his ninth Man-of-the-Match in the IPL on Sunday. Only Gayle (15), Yusuf Pathan (12) and Virender Sehwag (10) have received more awards than Hussey.
- The win over Kolkata on Sunday made Chennai the first team to record seven wins in IPL 6. They also became the first team to register five wins in a row in the present competition.
- By beating Kolkata, Chennai equalled their previous tally of five consecutive wins in the IPL between April 30 and May 9, 2009.
- The 200 for 3 Chennai socred on Sunday was also their highest total against Kolkata in the IPL, surpassing the 190 for 3 they scored at home last year on May 27, 2012.
- Chennai's Suresh Raina became the second player after Gayle (164) to complete a century of sixes in the IPL.
- Chennai's 67 for no loss in the Powerplay on Sunday was the highest by any team in IPL 6.
(With inputs from PTI)