New Delhi: It's the second day of Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith's visit to India and report of attacks on Indians in Australia just hasn't stopped from trickling in. The latest happened on Sunday in Melbourne to Australian citizens. Will the Indian government take up the issue strongly?
Australia's visiting foreign minister on his government's zero tolerance policy has said:
“We have zero tolerance for assaults on any individuals in Australia. We have zero tolerance for assaults on any Indians in Australia. We have zero tolerance for assaults on any one who comes to Australia. Regrettably there have been some racist overtones to a small number of the assaults and we condemn that absolutely.”
However, it doesn't appear to have stopped attacks on Indians in Australia. The latest happened on Sunday in Melbourne to Australian citizens
- They defended their home for more than two hours from a drunken gang spewing racial abuse and demanding they leave the country.
- It took four calls from Ranjit before the police turned up.
- Adding insult to injury police took one of the assailants home.
The victim, a couple of South Asian origin – Ranjit Sahasranamam and his wife.
External Affairs Minister SM Krishna had warned earlier that relations with Canberra could be seriously damaged if the attacks continued.
MEA spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said, "We will discuss the safety of the Indian community in Australia. We have been sensitising Australia at the highest level regarding safety of Indians there."
With more than 150 confirmed attacks on Indians in Australia since January 2009, Smith will have some explaining to do when he meets SM Krishna on Wednesday evening.