ibnlive » India

May 03, 2006 at 01:00pm IST

Mob burns man alive in Vadodara

Vadodara: Two days after five people were killed and more than dozens injured in clashes in the walled city over the demolition of a dargah, Vadodara was back on the edge on Wednesday.

A 32-year-old man was burnt alive by a crowd of 1,500 early on Wednesday morning.

According to eyewitnesses, the victim, Mohammed Rafiq Abdulgani Vora, was chased by a mob and burnt alive in his car when he was passing through Ajwa Road's Mahavir hall crossing.

Around 1,500 people marched from Kishanwadi area to city's Ajwa Road where they spotted the Tata Sierra car (registration number: GJ-6-AA-8258) and torched it.

The man was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced 'dead on arrival'.

Sources report that crowds had been defying the curfew and were gathering across the city through the night.

Deputy Commissioner of Police Siddharth Khatri said the incident happened before the police or fire-brigade could reach the spot.

He said the mob had been dispersed and Rapid Action Force deployed in the area.

Police also said people were being evacuated to safety from the Ajabdi Mills area.

The police commissioner Deepak Swarup said the situation was spiralling out of control and the fact that Vadodara was rife with rumours made the work of the police very difficult.

The city has been tense since the demolition of a dargah and the death of five persons in consequent violence.

Sources report that crowds have been assembling across the city through Tuesday night.

Clashes also reportedly broke out between the two communities at Kotiadnagar, Bawamanpura, Sardar estate under the Panigate police station late Tuesday night.

Director General Gujarat Police, P C Pande rushed immediately to Vadodara.

The Central Goverenment has sent a stern message across to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi. Home Minister Shivraj Patil spoke to Modi and asked for all efforts to be made to bring the situation under control.

Modi is likely to visit Vadodara on Wednesday.

Earlier on Tuesday, curfew was relaxed for a couple of hours in the Panigate area from 1230 hres (IST) to 1430 hrs (IST)and the authorities had decided to give nine-hour curfew relaxation in the area from 0800 hrs (IST) to 1700 hrs (IST) on Wednesday following improvement in the situation.

With the killing of one more person, the death toll in the last two days of continued violence and police firing had risen to six.

About 20 victims of the riots were still admitted to the SSG hospital.