Jammu: An encounter between LeT militants and security forces in Jammu and Kashmir ended after a 12-hour gun battle in the Samba sector.
The families of the victims of the encounter are mourning the death of the dear ones.
After a 12-hour long gun battle, two suspected Lashker-e-Toiba militants were shot dead. The security forces say these two were attempting a suicide attack on the Indian Army, which they foiled.
The militants from the Lashkar were believed to be among the group who may have infiltrated from Pakistan into Samba through the international border last Friday.
Security forces say they fear more militants may have been able to infiltrate and are likely to be planning more such attacks.
“I have already issued instructions that the level of force should be raised and more night vision devices should be installed,” says DG, BSF, Ashish K Mitra.
The army suspects that the militants were planning a suicide attack on an Army formation on the pattern of a similar attack in the Kaluchak area in 2001 in which 31 jawans and family members were killed when their quarters were attacked.
The BSF top brass has also dismissed allegations that the attack was a result of the jawans who were not alert.
“The IB has been less vulnerable. And for the last year-and a half, no such attempts have been made,” says Ashish K Mitra.
Three other militants are suspected to be holed up in the region and with the Amarnath Yatra slated for next month, no one wants to take a chance and more forces are being rushed in for security.