Mumbai: The 19-year-old boy who was questioned for allegedly posting offensive comments against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray on Facebook has now been let off. The boy was handed over to the police by MNS workers on Wednesday to explain the comment posted about Raj Thackeray.
The party's student wing president also filed a complaint. Police sources say that the boy's Facebook account was hacked before the alleged offensive comment was posted.
Earlier, a bandh was on Wednesday observed in Palghar town in adjoining Thane district following a call by Shiv Sena against suspension of two senior police officers in connection with the arrest of two girls over a Facebook post, criticising shutdown during Bal Thackeray's funeral.
Commercial establishments, schools and colleges at Palghar remained shut and there was no vehicular traffic in the town, party sources said. No untoward incident was reported so far, police said. The Palghar Bar Association had also called for a bandh in the courts today to protest the transfer of the local Judicial Magistrate First Class (JFMC) who had "promptly" granted bail to the two girls.
The girls, both 21, were arrested after one of them had lamented in a Facebook post the November 18 shutdown due to Thackeray's funeral and her friend had 'liked' the post. Though the girl didn't name Thackeray, the local Sena leader complained against the girls and police arrested the duo on November 19, sparking an outrage.
On November 20, police arrested the vandals who had damaged one of the girls' uncle's hospital on November 18, despite her removing the post and apologising that day itself. Maharashtra government had on Tuesday suspended the two police officers, SP (Thane rural) Ravindra Sengaonkar and senior police inspector Shrikant Pingle.