ibnlive » India

Oct 06, 2008 at 06:05pm IST

Mumbai cops arrest 4 for sending terror mails

New Delhi: Mumbai police say they have tracked down the terror e-mails sent out immediately before and after the Gujarat and Delhi serial blasts.

The police have arrested four men from Pune for sending out the emails in the name of the Indian Mujahideen, claiming responsibility for the recent series of blasts.


The email sent before the Delhi blasts had warned of the explosions, like earlier emails.

It also had several references to Gujarat and Narendra Modi.

ALSO SEE Sept 29: Four arrested in Mumbra

The wi-fi network of Kenneth Haywood, an American national, was used to sent an e-mail for Ahmedabad blasts; a terror e-mail was sent to a media organisation from Khalsa college in Central Mumbai and later, the wifi of an engineering company in Chembur was used to sent an e-mail immediately after Delhi serial blasts.

Pieces of the puzzle

ALSO SEE Web of terror: How safe are wi-fi networks?

On September 26, security agencies conducted a massive search operation in Mumbra in Thane District of Maharashtra, following the arrest of four people in terror probes.

The Mumbai crime branch had arrested a property dealer Ismail Majeed Khan for helping three others rent a flat in Mumbra using forged documents.

ALSO SEE Orkut bans Indian Mujahideen community

Navik Javed Qureshi, Rashid Mohammed Ali Sheikh and Farukh Harun Sheikh were also picked up by the crime branch.

On September 29, a man suspected to be linked to terror group Indian Mujahideen was detained on Sunday at the Indira Gandhi International Airport but was let off after a few hours of questioning, a police official said.

Mohammed Shahdab, who has been working in Saudi Arabia for the past 12 years, was taken into preventive custody after he landed in New Delhi in an Emirates flight on Friday. Shahdab is a resident of Patna.

The staff of Central Industrial Security Force detained him after they were alerted by Central Intelligence agencies that a man who could be a financier of the Indian Mujahideen would be landing at the international terminal and had injuries on one of his hands.

Cop's family rejects Amar Singh's offer

In New Delhi, the family of inspector M C Sharma, who died in the Jamia encounter, has rejected Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh's cheque of Rs 10 lakh, reacting angrily to Singh's suggestion earlier that the entire operation was staged.

"He (Amar Singh) is a leader and he is talking such nonsense. We were given money by him but we are not accepting it. We a very disappointed with his comments," he said.

Previous Comments