ibnlive » World

Naval War Room leak case: UK minister to decide on Ravi Shankaran extradition


Sanjay Suri, CNN-IBN
Apr 20, 2013 at 07:20am IST

London: Naval War Room leak case accused Ravi Shankaran on Wednesday lost his arguments in a magistrate's court against being extradited to India to stand trial.

District Judge Nicholad Evans at Westminster Magistrates Court in London said in his ruling on Wednesday that he had been presented with no evidence to prove that there wasn't a case to answer.

The District Judge has now sent the case to the UK Home Secretary Theresa May, who will decide on ordering Shankaran's extradition to India. If the Secretary of State were to order extradition, Ravi Shankaran would go to the High Court in appeal against such an order, his lawyer announced.

46-year-old Shankaran, a close relative of the then Naval Chief Admiral Arun Prakash, has faced an Interpol red corner notice since 2006 before he was arrested by the Metropolitan police in London. Shankaran is a key accused in the case of leaking classified information from the War Room to arms dealers.

He has been absconding since the case was registered by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in March 2006. The CBI revoked his passport in May that year and secured a Red Corner Notice against him after filing a charge-sheet in July 2006.

An extradition request was sent to the UK in 2007 following reports that he was in the country and he was

arrested by British authorities in April 2010 on the basis of the non-bailable arrest warrants issued by the Court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, New Delhi.

The 2006 Navy War Room leak case involves leaking of over 7,000 pages of defence information of sensitive nature from the naval war room and air defence headquarters. Besides Shankaran, other accused in the case are include sacked naval commander VK Jha, former Indian Air Force wing commander SL Surve and businessmen Abhishek Verma.

With Additional Inputs From PTI

Latest

More from this section

PREVIOUS  US: University of Texas evacuated after bomb threat

NEXT  Afghanistan says ready to work for peace without Pakistan help