New Delhi: The government has confirmed that no accounts on the microblogging site Twitter have been blocked so far, sources said on Thursday. They claimed that the Ministry of Home Affairs' request for show cause notice to offensive and provocative handles was still pending with Twitter.
In the wake of the mass exodus by Indians from the Northeast, the government had proposed cracking down on hate content on social media websites.
While Facebook has agreed to co-operate, Twitter has so far refused any compliance.
Meanwhile, the Telecom Ministry is expected to hold a review meeting with the National Security Advisory and the Intelligence Bureau on Thursday to take stock of the situation.
Farmers hold protest in Kurukshetra, block road
Exclusive: Yogendra Yadav says since 2014 we have been asking for PAC to be reconstituted
Ban on Nirbhaya documentary: Ravi Shankar Prasad says Modi government respects freedom of press