New Delhi: The government will not extend the deadline for the second phase of digitisation of TV set-top boxes, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said on Wednesday.
"We are not going to relax the deadline. We want digitisation to go through," Tewari told reporters.
He added that transition from analogue to digital cable will be implemented in a sensitive manner.
Tewari said the government had implemented the decision concerning digitisation in the four metro cities and issues that cropped up were ironed out.
Thirty-eight cities across 15 states were required to switch to set-top boxes by March 31, 2013.
Tewari said the government intended to go about digitisation with "minimum amount of disruption".
He said multi-system operators had been told to be sensitive.
He said digitisation will help bring in transparency and create revenue models.
He said the government had implemented the decision concerning digitisation in the four metro cities and issues that cropped up were ironed out.
India rejects grant of bail to LeT chief Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi by Pakistan court
India hits out at Pakistan as LeT terrorist and 26/11 mastermind Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi gets bail
ISRO tests its heaviest space launch vehicle GSLV Mark-III, eyes global market