New Delhi: The incident at New Delhi Railway Station which claimed two lives and injured eight others happened due to tripping of passengers at the foot overbridge (FOB) and not due to a stampede on the platform, Railways said on Monday night.
"Prime facie it transpires that there was no stampede like conditions on platform no 12 and 13," the high-powered committee set up to probe it said in its preliminary report, adding "the findings were arrived based on video footage available through CCTV installed at the platforms."
The high-powered committee which was constituted on Monday submitted its initial report to the Rail Ministry after preliminary investigation.
The high-powered committee was constituted on Monday.
"It appears that it was probably some local condition near the FOB caused by unfortunate tripping which may have resulted in the unfortunate incident," said the report.
The high-powered three-member committee comprises Braj Mohan, Additional Member (Commercial) Railway Board, S K Malik, Additional Member (Civil Engineering) Railway Board and P K Mehta, Additional Director General, RPF, Northern Railway.
Senior Railway officials had earlier in the day indicated that some heads might roll for failing to prevent Sunday’s incident.
Northern Railway is now planning to rope in services of Delhi Police for better crowd management during the peak season. It plans to engage Home Guards of Delhi Police at the three major stations in the metropolis.
The sale of platform ticket was also stopped from Monday to reduce crowding on platforms.