New Delhi: The panic among the Northeastern people seems to have subsided in Bangalore and Mumbai as less people were seen leaving the cities on Saturday.
Lesser crowds were seen in the Guwahati-bound trains from Mumbai and Bangalore on Saturday. Officials in Mumbai said there were a few empty seats in the Guwahati Express. Some passengers from Mumbai said panic was not the reason for their travel.
There were similar scenes at the Bangalore railway station that saw lesser crowds on Saturday.
However, 30,000 Indians from the Northeast have left Bangalore in the past four days after rumours of retaliatory attacks after Assam violence.
Karnataka's Minister of State for Railway KH Muniyappa said, " 30,000 people have left so far, eight special trains have left since Wednesday. We'll arrange for special trains if they want to come back.
Eight special trains have left Bangalore since August 15. Two special trains from Bangalore reached Guwahati on Saturday. A special train from Hyderabad has also reached Guwahati, more trains are expected on Saturday.
Helpline numbers have been set up by the Manipur government at the Guwahati station: 9435118534, 9435554909, 9436017654, 940145150. Helplines have also been set up for students and people from Arunachal Pradesh: 9864016193, 9435114076, 9854491360.
Meanwhile, Assam ministers were in Bangalore and Hyderabad assuring the Northeast Indians to not act on rumours. Earlier, night patrols were carried out across several areas in Bangalore, where there is a strong presence of the Northeast Indians.
Six people were arrested on Friday for spreading rumours and false SMSes. In fact, two ministers from Assam visited the Bangalore railway station, asking people to not panic and flee.
Meanwhile, the Centre has also issued directions to all Internet service providers to disable any hateful content targetting the Northeast Indians. Bulk SMSes and MMSes have also been banned for 15 days to contain panic.