Bhubaneswar: After a lull for several months, the Odisha government is now examining whether it should resume night-combing operation in Maoist-hit districts which had been stopped a few years ago.
The issue was discussed at length during a meeting between Chief Secretary B K Patnaik and newly-appointed DGP Prakash Mishra in Bhubaneswar on Saturday.
"We are examining the matter regarding beginning of the night operation. The state police will discuss the matter with the central paramilitary forces before taking any decision," Patnaik told reporters.
The Odisha government is now examining whether it should resume night-combing operation in Maoist-hit districts.
While the government was contemplating start of the night operation, civil rights bodies oppose it on the ground that innocent people often become victim of the security personnel during night operation.
"I do not know the exact position. Since I joined as DGP yesterday, it will take some time to take stock of every situation. However, the state government will soon take a decision in regard to the night operation," Mishra said.
The police rank and file working in districts hit by Left Wing Extremism, however, said that the night operation against Maoists had been successful in the past.
Therefore, there should be no restriction on the security personnel as to when to start operation. "The police need to be given a free hand in this regard," said a senior officer working in southern Odisha.