Islamabad: Pakistan on Tuesday rejected Indian allegations of an attack across the LoC in the Poonch sector in which five Indian soldiers were killed. Pakistan claimed the allegations carried by 'some sections of Indian media' as 'baseless and unfounded'. "Our military authorities have confirmed that there had been no exchange of fire that could have resulted in such an incident," a press release by Pakistani Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
It stated that Pakistan is committed to the ceasefire agreement of 2003 which it regards as an important Confidence Building Measure which should be respected in letter and spirit. Pakistan in the statement also urged the need for abiding by and strengthening existing military mechanisms to ensure that such ill-founded reports that have the potential of vitiating the atmosphere, are avoided.
"Pakistan is committed to a constructive, sustained and result-oriented process of engagement with India and looks forward to an early resumption of the dialogue process," the statement said. It has also been mentioned that it is important for both India and Pakistan to make serious efforts in maintaining the positive atmosphere and avoid negative propaganda.
Pakistan called the 2003 ceasefire agreement an important Confidence Building Measure which should be respected.
Earlier in the day, India had lodged a strong protest with Pakistan over the ambush and killing of five Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops and terrorists at the Line of Control near Poonch in Jammu and Kashmir. Sources said that the Pakistani Deputy High Commissioner was summoned and a strong diplomatic message was delivered asking Pakistan to stop such attacks and find out those responsible for the midnight attack on the Indian troops.