ibnlive » India » Jammu & Kashmir

Aug 18, 2013 at 08:22pm IST

Pakistan violates ceasefire yet again, targets 12 posts at Mendhar sector in J&K

Poonch: In a yet another ceasefire violation along the Line of Control (LoC), Pakistan troops targetted 12 Indian posts at Mendhar sector in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday. The heavy firing is still on. This is the 18th ceasefire violations at the LoC since the killings of five Indian soldiers on August 5.

Earlier on Sunday, Pakistani troops fired shells in Poonch's Balakot sector, Deri Dabsi and Pattri Gala areas in the state. The Indian Army said that Pakistani special forces are planning more strikes along the border even as there have been two more ceasefire violations within 24 hours.

ALSO SEE Video shows Pakistan using ceasefire violation to push in terrorists

Meanwhile, the Army successfully foiled an infiltration bid in the Keran sector of Kupwara on August 16. CNN-IBN has accessed a video evidence showing Pakistan pushing in terrorists into Indian territory after opening fire. The visuals obtained from thermal images and night vision devices showed an infiltration bid in Poonch sector on August 16. These thermal imaging visuals show an infiltration bid under the cover of Pakistan Army fire.

"Over the last 4-5 days, they have been continously violating the ceasefire on the LoC. We are determind to give a massive retaliation as a response to it and we will not allow any terrorist to cross the LoC under the cover of fire or any ceasefire violation," said Brigadier A Sengupta, Brigade Commander, BG Brigade.

ALSO SEE Army warns Pak troops for violating ceasefire at LoC

The Army said Pakistani troops regularly give covering fire for such terrorists. The infiltration bid was foiled by the Army troops as they fired back on the terrorists.

The video evidence came at a time when there have been repeated ceasefire violations and Pakistani troops fired several rounds of mortar in Poonch district on late Saturday night. The Indian troops retaliated which resulted in a nearly three-hour exchange of gunfire.

Pakistan used heavy calibre weaponry apart from mortars and rockets to target Indian positions forcing troops guarding the borderline to retaliate effectively, defence spokesman SN Acharya said. There was no loss of life or injury to anyone in the firing.

Eighty-five per cent more ceasefire violations by Pakistani troops have taken place in 2013 from January 1 to August 5 than those during the same period in 2012, they added.

(With Additional information from PTI)

  • 15
  • 11
  • 0

Latest