Mumbai: There has been very little headway in the rape and murder case of three minor girls in Bhandara in Maharashtra although it has been a week since the body of the sisters were discovered. On Thursday, the police also admitted that there had been no concrete leads. They even admitted to lapses and promised action against erring officials, assuring that a probe would be conducted into why there was a delay in registering the case.
Maharashtra Additional Director General Javed Ahmed on Thursday claimed that action had already been taken against one of the concerned police officials, adding that the police did get some more leads in the case.
"We have already taken action against the concerned officer in-charge of the police station...we are trying to do more to solve this case, we are trying to get detection as soon as possible, we have got some more leads today in the case," said Ahmed in a press conference.
According to the Maharashtra DG, the police are hopeful of getting some conclusive lead in the case very soon as many teams are working to crack the case soon. He said, "It is difficult right now to give the exact number of people interrogated today...many teams are working on the case to crack it soon."
He assured that an inquiry would be conducted to ascertain the delay on part of the police, as alleged by the family. Referring to the incident, Ahmed said that the place where the bodies were found was not easy to reach, assuring that the police were not overlooking any case in the case.
According to the police, sustained questioning of three suspects is taking place. But police haven't come out with any concrete disclosures. Senior police officials have also examined the spot where the bodies were recovered.
Meanwhile, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights has stepped in, demanding a report on why there was a delay in registering an FIR. Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil is likely to visit the mother of the deceased girls on Thursday.
Speaking to CNN-IBN, the mother of the girls said she did not want any compensation, and instead, wanted the guilty to be punished at the earliest.
Three sisters, all minors were allegedly raped and murdered in Maharashtra's Bhandara district and their bodies were dumped in a well after they went missing from their school on February 14.
Preliminary post-mortem report has confirmed that the girls were raped before being murdered. Enraged villagers demanding a swift probe blocked the National Highway 6 for over 4 hours on Wednesday, while a bandh was called in the district. Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh and senior police officials have been rushed in to oversee the investigation.
- Why did the police delay registering the FIR of the girls going missing on February 14?
- Why was an attempt made to term it an accident even after discovering the girls' bodies on February 16?
- Could swift police action have prevented this shocking rape and murder of the three minors?