New Delhi: A self-confessed mediator in the alleged property dispute between liquor and real estate baron Ponty Chadha and his brother Hardeep said on Monday that the shootout in which the two killed each other was not actually over the Chhattarpur farmhouse.
Delhi SGPC chief Paramjeet Singh, a close relative of Hardeep, said that the brothers had resolved their differences and that the killings had been "sudden, not planned".
Ponty Chadha and his brother killed each other in a shootout on Saturday over an alleged property dispute. Sources said the shootout occurred after Hardeep went back on an agreement he had signed with Ponty to split their property.
A five-member team of Uttarakhand Police landed in Delhi on Monday after one of its personnel was detained in connection with the shootout. The man has been identified as Sachin Tyagi, the personal security officer (PSO) of Uttarakhand Minority Commission Chief SS Namdhari.
The big questions
There are still several questions which remain unanswered:
- Was there a link between the October 5 Moradabad farmhouse shootout at these killings?
- How many weapons were recovered from the Chattarpur farmhouse after the shootout?
- Why would the PSOs attached to the brothers be willing to kill, almost like hired shooters?
- Whose weapon fired the bullets that were lodged inside Ponty's and Hardeep's bodies?
- Is it valid to term the shootout an act of self-defence with such a high number of shots being fired?