Guwahati: The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Wednesday sought action against bystanders in the Guwahati molestation case. It has also recommended CCTV cameras and special police pickets with women constables outside all pubs in Guwahati.
NCW Chairperson Mamata Sharma, along with Nirmala Samant Prabhavalkar, Member of National Commission for Women, met the Chief Minister of Assam on Wednesday at Guwahati and handed over the report along with the recommendation made by inquiry committee.
The CM has accepted all the recommendations. The Chairperson also met the victim and assured her of all help along with her rehabilitation, financial help through State Government.
Mamata Sharma also met the Chief Secretary, DGP and IG Assam and discussed the security measures, especially for women. She has been assured that the police will be more vigilant for the safeguard, security and safety of women in the state.
The NCW recommendations are as follows:
- All the culprits in this case should be brought to book and be punished as per law.
- The said case of assault and molestation should be taken by the fast track court and the redressal to the grievances shall be done on speedy basis and in a time bound manner.
- Meanwhile, handholding support and psychological counselling will be given to the victim immediately.
- The Committee recommends to the State Government to grant a financial and medical compensation to victim.
- The committee also recommends to the State Government to rehabilitate the victim a government job, in accordance with the state policy or otherwise.
- The NCW recommends to strictly monitor the places which run such centres.
- Medical check up should be done immediately supported by the treatment. Financial aid to the victim, if any, from the government.
- Patrolling of police along with the women police in the state to curb such incidents. Special police pickets along with women police, should be set up at all 128 pubs upto 10.30 pm for the security and safety of the women.
- Police Stations of the State should be instructed to take such types of calls immediately, without going into the jurisdiction territory, and inform the concerned police station so that victim gets immediate help and such type of incidents could be avoided.
- Action should be taken against public who were watching the incident.
- Action should be taken against those who were protecting and hiding the culprit.
- CCTVs should be installed outside all pubs.
- Immediate arrangements should be made to set up 24-hour women helpline and Women cell in every police station of the state.
- Strict action should be taken against the police personal responsible for the crime.
- Bar owners should be instructed to check the age proof of the customers.
- Proper shelter should be given to the victims of such type of crime, whose family is not ready to protect them.