ibnlive » India

Oct 21, 2008 at 07:49pm IST

Raj Thackeray sent to judicial custody till Nov 4

New Delhi: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray, who was arrested on Tuesday morning, has been sent to two-week judicial custody by a court in suburban Bandra in Mumbai for an attack by his party's activists on north Indians who were appearing for a railway exam in Kalyan district.

However, Thackeray secured bail in the case of attack on the candidates in Bandra.

ALSO SEE Pics: MNS workers protest across Mumbai

Minutes after Thackeray was granted judicial custody, DGP of Maharashtra AN Roy told CNN-IBN, “Maharashtra is under control. We had some incidents of violence after the arrest but now everything is under control. Going by MNS’ track record we had prepared for such protests and violence.”

RAGE OVER RAJ: MNS supporters resorted to stone-pelting at police vehicles outside the Bandra court.

MNS workers on Sunday had attacked non-Maharashtrians appearing for a Railway board recruitment examination in several parts of the state. Thackeray was arrested from Ratnagiri, about 250 km from Mumbai, early on Tuesday.

ALSO SEE Raj arrest triggers MNS backlash | Buses burnt

Thackeray was presented before a magistrate in the Bandra court, who granted him bail on a surety of Rs 15,000 in the case of attack on north Indian candidates in Chetna College in Bandra.

However, the MNS chief was sent to judicial custody till November 4 for the attack on non-Maharashtrians in Kalyan.

ALSO SEE Raj Thackeray arrested, gagged and grounded

After spending a night in jail, Thackeray will on Wednesday be presented before a magistrate in Kalyan, who will decide whether to grant bail or not.

Two truckloads of Rapid Action Force personnel were stationed outside the court for security.

Even before Thackeray was produced in court, over 2,000 slogan-raising supporters had gathered there, and the police resorted to a lathicharge to bring the situation under control.

MNS supporters resorted to stone-pelting at police vehicles outside the Bandra court. The supporters also stoned a police van carrying detained MNS activists. Police were forced to fire tear gas shells and resorted to baton charge to control the mobs.

This is the second time in eight months that Thackeray has been arrested for his tirade against north Indians.

MNS protestors hold Mumbai to ransom

Transferred to Mumbai amidst tight security, Thackeray was immediately whisked off to the Bandra-Kurla Complex police station, where his wife Sharmila and other party office-bearers were present.


He was later taken to the Bandra court, where police were forced to baton charge his supporters since they refused to disperse.

Many MNS activists squatted on the busy Western Express Highway, which is barely a stone' throw away from the Bandra court, causing traffic jams. They also pelted stones at passing vehicles, causing panic stricken commuters to flee.

Although suburban trains on the Western and Central Railways and Harbour Line functioned as usual, some buses, taxis and autorickshaws were set on fire.

In a few areas public transport just stayed off the roads causing inconvenience to people. Police were forced to fire tear gas shells in many places to control the rampaging MNS activists.

The office of the state Congress spokesperson Sanjay Nirupam was also vandalised. Many shops and commercial establishments, especially those run or managed by non-Maharashtrians, chose not to open at all to avoid trouble.

All schools and colleges closed by 1000 hours IST and by 1400 hours IST most Mumbai streets were deserted as scared residents hid in their houses to avoid the wrath of MNS activists.

As news about Thackeray's arrest spread, there was violence in other parts of Maharashtra too.

In Satara town, MNS workers set fire to a bus depot, while in Nagpur party leaders claimed Thackeray's supporters had damaged several state transport buses.

(With inputs from IANS)

Previous Comments