New Delhi: Facing criticism over the slow pace of 26/11 trial in Pakistan, Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Saturday said attempts were being made to "fast-track" the case and wanted India to give "hard" and "substantive" evidence for the arrest of mastermind Hafiz Saeed.
Malik, who met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday, later said an application to fast track the case had been moved in the Lahore High Court and could be completed within three months if it was accepted. Singh had, during his 15-minute meeting with Malik, raised the issue of pending trial against the perpetrators of the 2008 Mumbai attacks based in Pakistan.
On the issue of Saeed, founder of terrorist group Lashkar-e-Toiba, who is roaming freely in Pakistan and indulging in anti-India rhetoric, Malik said, "If I am given hard evidence now, if it is substantive...before I leave Pakistan, I will order his arrest".
Rehman Malik had triggered a controversy by trying to equate the Babri mosque demolition with 26/11 attacks.
Malik, who had triggered a controversy by trying to equate the Babri mosque demolition with 26/11 attacks, said he had only projected that sectarian violence must be contained by both India and Pakistan and that his remark should not be taken in a "negative way".
The Pakistani leader, who is on a three-day visit, said he had no intention to interfere in the inter-faith matter as he was fully aware of such issues as Pakistan itself is a victim of inter-faith clashes.