Manchester: Wayne Rooney will submit a formal, written transfer request after Manchester United refused to sanction his move to Chelsea following the second bid submitted by the Blues.
United earlier in the month had rejected a bid of 23 million pounds, plus 2.5m pounds in additional clauses.
Manchester United spokesman on Monday said, "A bid was received on Sunday and was immediately rejected. Our position remains that he is not for sale."
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, who is in the US for the International Champions Cup, is so desperate to make the move happen that Chelsea secretary Dave Barnard has stayed in London as part of their negotiating team.
Rooney re-iterated his determination to quit Old Trafford during crunch talks with new United manager David Moyes over the weekend.
United's Premier League clash with Chelsea on August 26 is a delicate issue ahead of his potential transfer, but Rooney's heart is set on the move and he has told team-mates he does not want to play abroad.
He played 45 minutes for United in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Real Betis at the weekend and has pledged to fulfil his contractual obligations, which means he is expected to play in Tuesday's friendly against Swedish club AIK in Stockholm.
Rooney is citing irreconcilable differences with the club, relating to comments made by Sir Alex Ferguson - now a United director - when he quit in May. Ferguson revealed to the United crowd that Rooney wanted to leave.
The striker is now prepared to put his wishes in writing before Rio Ferdinand's testimonial against Sevilla on Friday.
They are unlikely to be as forgiving as they were in 2010, when he questioned the club's ambitions before signing a new contract.
Chelsea are ready to match Rooney's £240,000-a-week wages and will offer him a five-year deal.