FIFA secretary general Valcke said he has no doubt Itaquerao stadium here will be ready in time for next year\'s World Cup.
Sao Paulo: FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said he has no doubt Itaquerao stadium here will be ready in time for next year's World Cup. Earlier this year, Valcke warned Sao Paulo could be taken off the tournament's schedule if construction work was not stepped up at the venue, reports Xinhua.
"I remember that during the Confederations Cup we had an emergency meeting because we were afraid about when this stadium would be delivered," Valcke said Monday. And I can tell you that, yes, the stadium will be delivered on time and, yes, it will be ready to organise the opening game of the World Cup and also for test events here before this opening game."
Sao Paulo was Valcke's first stop of a four-day tour that will also include inspections of stadiums in Curitiba, Manaus and Rio de Janeiro. Six of the 12 World Cup venues not used during this year's Confederations Cup have been given a December deadline by FIFA for the completion of construction work.