The construction company that built the Bandra Worli Sea Link has lodged a complaint "unknown persons" for spreading rumours about a link wire collapse.
Police will also investigate whether Raj Kaushal and others posted damaging tweets advising commuters to avoid the link.
On March 23 Mumbaikars were flooded with rumours of a wire collapse at the Bandra Worli Sea Link. On Saturday, makers of the bridge, Hindustan Construction Company (HCC), registered a First Information Report (FIR) against "unknown persons" who called their office to inquire about the damage. Director Raj Kaushal, actress and TV host Mandira Bedi's husband, and Disha Kapadia have also come under the police scanner for spreading the rumour via Twitter.
On March 26, 2011, Assistant Vice President of HCC, Harihar Ayyar registered an FIR against "unknown persons" for hurting the firm's reputation. According to the FIR (a copy is available with Sunday MiD DAY), Ayyar received a phone call inquiring whether three cable wires of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link had been damaged. He replied in the negative and informed his superiors. After inspection, it was found that the cable wires weren't damaged.
Santosh Rai, an employee of HCC informed Ayyar about a tweet posted by Raj Kaushal which read: "Please avoid the Bandra-Worli Sea Link, three supporting cables have collapsed. Worli Seaface jammed. Please RT."
Disha Kapadia pasted a newspaper cutting which published the news about the cable wire collapse. When contacted, Harihar Ayyar asked this reporter to speak with HCC's corporate communication personnel. "HCC has registered a complaint on Saturday and the police are investigating the matter," said Jimmy Mogal, Head-Corporate Communication, HCC.
When Sunday Mid Day inquired with Mogal why the police had registered an FIR against unknown persons, not Kaushal and Kapadia, he said, "Without being sure the police cannot make an accusation against Raj Kaushal and Disha Kapadia. We have submitted a copy of the tweet to the police."