ibnlive » India » Haryana

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:12pm IST

Shame continues: Brother-in-law rapes 13-yr-old girl, boy rapes classmate

Ahmedabad/Kurukshetra/New Delhi: Even as India stands outraged, demanding stringent anti-rape laws and more protection for women, and despite the nationwide rage and fury little seems to be changing on the ground and the call for change has failed to deter the rapists. In two recent and separate incidents, while an engineering student raped his classmate in Kurukshetra in Haryana, the brother-in-law of a 13-year-old girl and his friend gangraped her in Ahmedabad.

The engineering student in Kurukshetra in Haryana allegedly raped his classmate on December 28, but a complaint was registered only two days later. The accused, said to be the classmate of the rape survivor, has been arrested. According to the police, the girl was returning home when the accused kidnapped and allegedly raped her.

In a more shocking incident, the brother-in-law of a 13-year-old girl and his friend allegedly gangraped her over a period of four days in Ahmedabad. The 13-year old was left shattered by the incident and even attempted suicide by consuming poison, following which she was admitted to a hospital. Since then, the braveheart has been battling for her life.

The family of the braveheart has alleged that despite their filing an initial complaint with regard to the case, no action was taken by the police. However, after insistence, a case has now been registered by the police.

These incidents are more shocking given the fact that there has been nationwide outrage over the sad demise of the 23-year-old paramedical student, who was gangraped and assaulted in a moving bus in the national capital. Though the Delhi braveheart succumbed to her injuries after battling for over 12 days, she left behind a nation awakened and a nation demanding change.

The braveheart was cremated in Delhi on Sunday after her body was brought back from Singapore, where she was being treated at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital, on a special aircraft.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi were present at the airport to console the parents while Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Minister of State for Home RPN Singh were among those who attended the cremation. The body of the Delhi braveheart was laid to rest in the national capital amid heavy deployment of Delhi Police and RAF personnel and the media was not allowed at the site.

Meanwhile, prayers, candle-light vigils and rallies as part of spontaneous peaceful protests continued to be held in a somber atmosphere of grief in several cities on Sunday. However, five people were detained after the peaceful protest at Jantar Mantar was marred by violence on Sunday. A group of protestors clashed with the police on being denied permission to take out a march. The protests were confined to a single area, unlike last week when protests raged up throughout the capital.

The Rapid Action Force was called in to manage the crowd and the situation was quickly brought under control. The incident occurred even as a group of protesters sat on a one-day hunger strike at Jantar Mantar in the heart of capital while others shouted slogans holding placards in their hands. A group of protesters also painted slogans and graphics on sheets of paper spread on the road.

Previous Comments