Jan 10, 2014 at 01:20pm IST

'Sherlock' to return for seasons 4 and 5

We can't get enough of 'Sherlock', can we? There's good news as the BBC series will return for at least two more seasons.

According to a report in the Huffington Post, series star Benedict Cumberbatch has confirmed that he has been signed on for season four of 'Sherlock' along with co-star Martin Freeman. "All I know at the moment is I'm doing these three [episodes of season 3] and another three," Cumberbatch told RadioTimes.com at the South Bank Show Awards.

Talking about possibility of more seasons even after Season 4, Cumberbatch said: "It just depends on Martin and I's availability, how long we can keep it going. It depends on Steven's ability. I'd love to keep it going."

Series co-creator Steven Moffat also confirmed the good news at a BAFTA screening of third series finale 'His Last Vow'. He said that he and co-creator Mark Gatiss have plotted seasons four and five of 'Sherlock'.

"Rather excitingly, Mark and I, for no particular reason, we just got out of the rain and sat at the top of the [Sherlock] production bus...and we just started plotting out what we could do in the future," Moffat told the audience, according to RadioTimes. "And we plotted out the whole of series four and five."

'Sherlock' to return for seasons 4 and 5

There's great news for 'Sherlock' fans - the series will return for seasons four and five.

He added that the writer duo has come up with a number of twists and turns. "The ideas we had that day, I thought were the best we've ever had."

In October, 2013, Moffat had said that it was stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman who ordered the fourth season. "We had to inform the BBC that Martin and Benedict had commissioned a new series," Moffat said. "They signed themselves up. They both announced that they were carrying on-so that's good. Benedict, at some red carpet event somewhere, said he was carrying on forever. Martin, at another one, said, 'Yep, series four is happening'."

Moffat also revealed that the hit detective series will return for its fourth season "as quickly" as possible.

"Benedict and Martin are apparently in movies!" quipped the writer. "So we've got to schedule around them, but we'll get them made as quickly as we can."

About the Season 3 finale episode, Moffat said that it will be 90 minutes of "mouth dropping twists". He also revealed that the audience will get to see Sherlock as never before - high on drugs. "The drugs thing is interesting. Those things made you interesting or an intellectual in the past, these days a coke head is just a tw*t. We don't want that, he said."

"The story is lifted directly from the story The Man with the Twisted Lip. We always try to make it big and bold, you are always trying to outdo what you have done before," Moffat concluded.

Latest