ibnlive » Football

Soccer star Robinho denies assault allegation

Reuters
Jan 29, 2009 at 12:17pm IST

London: Brazil and Manchester City soccer star Robinho on Wednesday denied any allegations of wrongdoing after British media said he had been arrested in connection with a sexual assault on a woman in northern England two weeks ago.

British media said the assault on the 18-year-old woman took place in a nightclub in Leeds.

A statement on the player's website (wwww.robinhoofficial.com) said Robinho denied any allegations of wrongdoing or criminality and was happy to cooperate with police.

IN DENIAL: Robinho of Brazil is seen during a training session in Brasilia.

"We can confirm that Robinho met the police on Wednesday, as pre-arranged and as part of a criminal investigation," Robinho's spokesman, Chris Nathaniel, said in the statement.

"He strenuously denies any allegation of wrongdoing or criminality and is happy to cooperate with the police if required further." Asked about the incident, police in West Yorkshire said that a man had been arrested and released on bail, but declined to identify him.

Robinho, whose full name is Robson de Souza, joined Manchester City from Real Madrid in September.

Latest

More from this section

PREVIOUS  Staggering price tag: Messi up for grabs for $330 mn

NEXT  Manchester United rout West Brom to go 3 points clear