ibnlive » Politics » News

Teachers recruitment scam: Om Prakash Chautala, son to be sentenced today

CNN-IBN
Jan 22, 2013 at 08:05am IST

Michelin - Drivers Wanted
You are just a Click away from
Driving a Racing Car in Sepang!

New Delhi: A Delhi court will pronounce the quantum of sentence against former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala and his MLA son Ajay in the illegal teacher recruitment scam case. The Chautalas were taken into custody on January 16 after they were found guilty of illegally recruiting more than 3,000 Junior Basic Trained teachers in 1999-2000.

Apart from the Chautalas, Sanjiv Kumar, the then Director of Primary Education, Chautala's former Officer on Special Duty, Vidya Dhar, and Sher Singh Badshami, political advisor to the then Haryana chief minister were convicted by the court in the case.

The court had framed charges against them under sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 420 (cheating), 467 (forgery), 468 (forgery for cheating), 471 (using as genuine a forged document) of the IPC and and provisions of the PCA. The court had reserved its verdict in the case on December 17, 2012 after conclusion of final arguments by the CBI and the defence counsel.

Teachers recruitment scam: Chautala, son to be sentenced today

The Chautalas were found guilty of illegally recruiting more than 3,000 JBT teachers in 1999-2000.

Out of the initial 62 accused, six had died during the trial while one had been discharged by the court at the time of framing of charges. The court had earlier found prima facie evidence against Chautala, Ajay and 53 others, including IAS officers Dhar and Kumar. The 55 persons convicted by the court included 16 women.

The CBI had on June 6, 2008, chargesheeted the Chautalas, Indian National Lok Dal leaders, and others in connection with the scam relating to appointment of 3,206 junior basic teachers in the state during 1999-2000. In its chargesheet, the CBI had said that the probe established the manner in which the second lists were made by calling the chairpersons and members of the district-level selection committees of 18 districts to Haryana Bhawan in the national capital and a guest house in Chandigarh, where the modalities were worked out.

The CBI, in its chargesheet, had also said that the father-son duo had used forged documents to appoint 3,206 teachers. The apex court had in its order on November 25, 2003, directed the CBI to take up the investigation of the case.

With additional information from PTI

Latest

More from this section