New Delhi: The fire from 'cash for promotion' scam finally engulfing the Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal. Bansal was sacked on Friday evening after a meeting of the Prime Minister with the Congress President Sonia Gandhi. Bansal, later drove to the PM's residence to submit his resignation.
Bansal's fate was perhaps sealed last Friday when his nephew Vijay Singla was arrested for taking a bribe of Rs 90 lakh from a railway board member.
Here's how the events unfolded leading eventually to Bansal's sacking:
- Bansal had come under a cloud last Friday following the arrest of his nephew Vijay Singla by the CBI.
- Singla was caught accepting bribe money of Rs 90 lakh as part of a deal to appoint, Mahesh Kumar, Member (Staff) to the more lucrative Member (Electrical) post.
- On Monday, Bansal was jeered in the Rajya Sabha and called 'Mamu' by BJP members.
- On Tuesday, proccedings in Parliament were stalled by Opposition demanding the resignation of Pawan Bansal and Ashwini Kumar.
- Subsequent investigations revealed involvement of Bansal's private secretary Rahul Bhandari.
- Bhandari was questioned by the CBI on Wednesday and Thursday.
- But as the clouds intensified over Bansal, he stopped attending office since Wednesday.
- Bansal even skipped the Thursday's Cabinet meeting.
- Questions are being also being raised about the manner in which Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal's family wealth grew.
- Clearly the man who was backing him, the Prime Minister, has failed to save him.