Chennai: A three-month-boy bursts into flames whenever he sweats. The child has been suffering from a rare medical condition called Spontaneous Human Combustion. Doctors, however, said there was no cure for this rare condition and could be a result of his skin emitting combustible gases.
Rahul first caught fire when he was only 9-day-old and it had happened at least 3 more times since then.
Dr Thenmozhi, Assistant Professor in Paediatrics Department, Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital said this was the first time that he has come across such a case. "It's a very rare case, it can occur in any age group. It is the spontaneous explosion of burning material from the sweat. It's a serious case. In the past cases, those who happened to be with the person who had this disorder have died. Severe precautions need to be taken. In my experience, this is the first time I've seen such a case. And unfortunately, there is no special cure and it has to be treated like a regular burn injury," the doctor said.
Meanwhile, the doctors have advised Rahul's parents to keep the baby away from inflammable substances and to keep him in a climate controlled room all the time. Rahul's parents were shocked with all that's happening to their newborn baby and have been hoping for a medical miracle.
Rahul's father Karnan said he did not believe when he was informed about it. "The first two times when the incident took place, my wife and son were at my mother-in-law's house. I didn't believe it till I saw it with my own eyes. Doctors were saying that they can't do anything to cure him but can only treat his injuries. I have lost my house in the fire. The government should provide us with some shelter," he said.
The baby was being kept under observation while the doctors try to fathom this medical mystery.