New Delhi: 'Trishna' is getting a limited release in US this week. The story describes the life of a woman whose life gets defined due to her love. Trishna (Freida Pinto) meets a wealthy young British businessman Jay Singh (Riz Ahmed) and falls in love with him, but despite their feelings for each other, they cannot escape the pressures of a rural society which is changing rapidly through industrialisation and education.
Here are the ten things that you need to know about the film before heading towards the ticket window:
1. It's based on Thomas Hardy's classic novel 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles'.
The director of Trishna, Michael Winterbottom, has directed 17 films in last fifteen years.
2. Anurag Kashyap, Kalki Koechlin and Amit Trivedi have acted in the film.
3. Indian playback singer Kavita Seth is debuting in Hollywood with this film.
4. It is director Michael Winterbottom's third Hardy adaptation, after 'Jude' and 'The Claim'.
5. The film has been shot in Jaipur and Mumbai.
6. Indian composer Amit Trivedi has scored the music for the film.
7. Freida Pinto is currently the highest paid Indian actress in Hollywood. She started her career with 'Slumdog Millionaire' in 2008.
8. The original story is not set in India. It has Britain as premise.
9. The director of Trishna, Michael Winterbottom, has directed 17 films in last fifteen years. He has been nominated thrice for Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival.
10. The hero of the film Riz Ahmed is also a rapper.
Fifty Shades of Grey and the Working Woman
Photo of the day: Rishi Kapoor shares an old photo of Raj and Shammi embracing each other in the famous RK Holi tank
Hollywood Friday: 'The Lazarus Effect' and 'Against The Sun' release this week