ibnlive » India

Two arrested in 13/7 Mumbai blasts case, money trail uncovered

CNN-IBN
Jan 23, 2012 at 05:36pm IST

Mumbai: The Maharashtra Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) on Monday claimed to have cracked the July 13, 2011 Mumbai blasts case, in which 27 people were killed and over 130 others injured. Two people, Naqee Ahmed and Nadeem Mukhtar, have been arrested and Yasin Bhatkal, who commissioned the blast and two others involved are yet to be arrested.

The police claimed that the financial trail of the blasts has been fully uncovered. "A lot of stress and importance was given to trace the financial trail of these blasts," Maharashtra ATS chief Rakesh Maria said.

According to the Maharashtra ATS, 23-year old Naqee Ahmed and 22-year old Nadeem Mukhtar had stolen two scooters used in the blasts. Bhatkal reportedly gave Rs 1.5 lakh for the execution of the terror attack and provided the explosives for the blasts.

Both Naqee and Nadeem were arrested from Darbhanga in Bihar. The Maharashtra ATS said that a lead was obtained in the last week of November, 2011, and the investigators left for Darbhanga on December 2, 2011.

Nadeem was called to Delhi by Bhatkal, who handed over a cloth packet containing explosives to be given to the other accused, Naqee, for giving it to the others involved in carrying out the blasts. Naqee knew Bhatkal from 2008.

The Maharashtra ATS also said that Bhatkal finalised the accommodation in Byculla in Mumbai, for which Naqee Ahmed made the payment. The second accused Nadeem was living in Antop Hill area of Mumbai.

Maria also said that Bhatkal left Mumbai on July 13 itself and never came back.

The police said that Naqee Ahmed and Nadeem were also involved in a SIM card case, in which eight arrests were made.

The Maharashtra ATS chief said that the ATS team visited 18 states during the investigation of the blasts and examined 12,373 people.

"The investigations were handed over to the ATS on July 18. During the investigations and lookout we made inquiries in 18 states. There are 12373 witness in the case. We have analysed footage from 180 camera. Success was achieved and we have been able to pinpoint the perpetrators of the crime," Maria said.

During the investigation, the ATS also anaylsed videos of almost 180 CCTVs from the blast sites.

Maria also said that the accused had planned more attacks. Two motorcycles, which were to be used for carrying out more blasts, have also been recovered.

Powerful IED blasts had rocked the bustling Zaveri Bazaar, Opera House and Dadar areas in Mumbai within a span of 30 minutes on July 13, 2011, killing 27 and wounding 137 others.

The first blast had taken place at 6:54 pm at south Mumbai's crowded Zaveri Bazaar. Within a few minutes, Opera House and Dadar were also hit by powerful explosions.

Latest

More from this section

PREVIOUS  Anand Sharma for cut in interest rates by RBI

NEXT  JLF: Suspense over Rushdie's video address