The Indian Railway Personnel Services (IRPS) was formed in the year 1981. IRPS is one of the Group ‘A’ Central Civil Service of India. The cadre controlling authority for IRPS is the Ministry of Railways
Cadre size: 275 posts (direct recruitment: 50%, promotion: 50%).
Functions of the Officers
- Arrange recruitment, training of staff, promotion, demotion, transfers, disciplinary actions, retirement, settlement, selection etc.
- Handling (negotiation and grievances handling) the railway unions.
- Dealing with provisions of various laws and acts such as Industrial dispute Act, Factory Act, Workman Compensation Act, Payment of Wages, Minimum Wages and their implementation in the railways is another responsibility.
- Interpretation of rules and orders.
- Address matters concerning the welfare of the staff such as provision of residential accommodation, canteens, holiday homes, consumer societies, schools, clubs, institutes, hospitals etc.