ibnlive » World

US: White House temporarily evacuated due to fire alarm

Press Trust of India
May 11, 2013 at 08:40pm IST

Washington: Reporters and photographers were temporarily evacuated from the West Wing of the White House on Saturday morning as an electrical problem set off a smoke alarm. The First Family was not affected, a White House official said.

"Early this morning, an electrical transformer near the West Wing malfunctioned and set off a smoke alarm in the West Wing. The transformer problem was quickly resolved," the official said. "Electricity and personnel access to the West Wing has returned to normal. The First Family was unaffected," he said.

The West Wing houses the Oval Office and the offices of President Barack Obama's key staff. The personal residence of the president and his family is located between the East and West Wings.

US: White House temporarily evacuated due to fire alarm

The incident took place at the West Wing of the White House, which houses the Oval Office and the offices of President Barack Obama's key staff.

Latest

More from this section

PREVIOUS  India, China working on new border agreement: Khurshid

NEXT  Bulgarian authorities seize fake ballots before election