New Delhi: With an eye on the polls in his home state Himachal Pradesh, Virbhadra Singh in a sudden move on Tuesday resigned as small industries minister in the Manmohan Singh government.
On Monday, a Shimla court gave the go-ahead to frame charges against him in a corruption case. His party had said that his resignation was not necessary.
The problem ahead, however, is that many UPA ministers may now be under scanner, making the Team Anna campaign against the Congress even shriller.
UPA ministers under scrutiny
- Home Minister Chidambaram's election as Lok Sabha MP is challenged in court and is targeted by Subramanian Swamy in the 2G scam.
- Sushil Kumar Shinde is facing Adarsh probe.
- Vilasrao Deshmukh, who apart from the Adarsh scam, has been pulled up by the Supreme Court for alleged involvement with money lenders.
- External Affairs Minister SM Krishna is under scrutiny in connection with certain land deals.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh himself has been named by Team Anna in the coal block allocation.
Sources say that Virbhadra Singh was keen to return to state politics with polls just four months away. This, however, may now become difficult with him facing probe.
His resignation adds to the perception that the UPA is corrupt.