VIJAYAWADA: Following several complaints from people that the drinking water being supplied by the Vijayawada Municipal Corporation is emitting smell, the VMC authorities have allayed their fears.
The VMC officials clarified that the water is emitting smell due to mixing of copper sulfate in it to prevent the growth of algae during summer. There is no harm in consumption of water supplied by the VMC though it is emitting smell, they said.
The VMC supplies 39 Millions of Gallons per Day (MGD) to people in the city. The water is drawn from the Krishna river. “The smell emitting from the drinking water is unbearable as it is like gammexane,” said KV Narasimha Rao, a resident of Railway Colony.
Speaking to Express, VMC chief engineer G Kondala Rao said filamentous algae grows in the river water if the day temperature exceeds 35 degree Celsius. Initially, it does not cause any harm. If water in the river turns green and starts emitting smell, consumption of the water may cause malaria or dengue even if it is treated.
The municipal corporation is mixing copper sulfate in the drinking water to control the growth of algae. The growth of most of the species of algae can be checked by mixing a low concentration of calcium sulfate in water. “The smell in the water is due to mixing of copper sulfate. We are mixing the chemical in the water in permitted quantity as per the suggestion of the Institute of Preventive Medicine (IPM). The water supplied by the VMC is safe and people need not panic about it, ” said Kondala Rao.