New Delhi: The Delhi braveheart's family will challenge the Juvenile Justice Board's decision of declaring the sixth gangrape accused a minor. In an interview to CNN-IBN, the braveheart's father said that the family will challenge it in the higher court. He said the family wants a bone test to decide if the accused is a minor.
Expressing satisfaction with the police probe so far, he said that the family is mulling over the next course of legal action. "We are not at all satisfied with the order of the Juvenile Justice Board. I am speaking to my lawyers, we will challenge this order in the higher court. We want a bone test to be done to decide if he is minor or not. If he is found to be juvenile post the test, then we will accept it as our fate," the braveheart's father said.
But there are challenges before the police now as two other accused in the age group 19 to 20 may use the Juvenile Judge's order to press for age verification and delay trial.
On Monday, the Juvenile Justice Board ruled that the sixth accused in the Delhi gangrape-murder case is a juvenile and hence cannot be tried and sentenced under criminal law. The Board went with records of the school where the juvenile studied and then dropped out. The principals had produced school leaving records, which put his date of birth at June 04, 1995, making him 17 years and 6 months when the crime occurred.
The court had summoned both the then principal and the current principal of the school from which the juvenile dropped out in class 3. The then principal of the school told the media outside the courtroom that the date on the register was as per the statement of the mother of the minor.
Under juvenile law, if the minor is found in conflict with the law, he can only be sent for reform for a maximum of three years in a correction centre under a probation officer. The five others accused are adults and are facing trial in a regular court. They have been accused of murder, which carries death as the maximum penalty.