Feb 18, 2012 at 02:32am IST

Whiteford takes the lead at Avantha Masters

Gurgaon: Scotland's Peter Whiteford shot a 4-under 68 to take the lead at the end of round two of the 2012 Avantha Masters, at the DLF Golf and Country Club on Friday.

Whiteford who shared the lead with Alejandro Canizares of Spain on round one, currently stands at an aggregate score of 10-under 134 and is followed by Thailand's Prom Meesawat in second place, who finished the day at 136.

The Scot who had seven birdies on Thursday went a step better by pocketing an eagle on the 15th hole and was a satisfied man at the halfway stage of the competition.

Whiteford takes the lead at Avantha Masters

Peter Whiteford plays a shot on day two of the Avantha Masters in Gurgaon on Friday. (ibnlive)

"It was a good today. I had a sticky patch at the start. It was freezing cold this morning and it's a lot harder. But once it warmed up a bit I started to play a bit better and gave myself a few chances. I had a good eagle on the sixth (his 15th) which kick-started me a bit to finish well," Whiteford said.

"I hit a driver and a six iron and then holed a good putt, about 30 feet across the slope. It gave me good momentum and I was disappointed not to finish with a birdie. I hit two good shots to be just short of the green. Then I produced a 20-handicapped chip and putt, so had to settle for par there. It wasn't a very good finish, but not a disaster," he said.

Anirban Lahiri had the best result among the Indians with a score of 3-under 69, to finish with 6-under 138 to be tied seventh, in an otherwise disappointing day for his compatriots.

While Jeev Milkha Singh was tied 30th along with Shiv Kapur and Vivek Bhandari, it was another unimpressive day for local hope and defending champion SSP Chowrasia who was tied 43rd with countryman Sanjay Kumar.

But worse was in store for Gaganjeet Bhullar and Gaurav Ghei who failed to make the cut along with Tommy Fleetwood of England and Todd Hamilton of the United States.

John Daly who shot a disastrous 7-over on Thursday became the second casualty of the tournament when he pulled out with an elbow injury following Panuphol Pittayarat's (Thailand) withdrawal on the first day.