Lucknow: The wife of the Deputy Superintendent of Police, Zia-ul-Haq, who was killed on Saturday during clashes between villagers and police in Uttar Pradesh, has threatened to commit suicide in front of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav's house if she did not get justice. "He was under a lot of pressure. He was constantly being threatened and didn't want to stay here. If justice is not served then I will go to Akhilesh Yadav's house and kill myself," she said.
Controversial Uttar Pradesh minister Raja Bhaiya was booked for the murder of the Deputy Superintendent of Police and two of his aides were arrested based on the complaint of the slain police officer's wife. She also said he was shielding one of his associates.
Zia-ul-Haq had suffered gunshots during firing between the villagers and the police and had succumbed to his injuries late Saturday evening. An inspector and the DSP's gunner had also sustained injuries in the incident.
The clashes were provoked by a rampage by villagers, who were protesting the murder of a gram pradhan and his brother. Reports say the pradhan allegedly had a land dispute with the driver of Raja Bhaiya. The villagers blamed the police for refusing to act when the pradhan sought protection fearing for his life.
Raja Bhaiya was divested of the prison portfolio in February when Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav reshuffled his cabinet. He had reportedly met the Chief Minister on Saturday night to issue a clarification on the incident.
Raja Bhaiya's political career has been pulled in different directions by Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati over the past decade. A stint of Mayawati rule meant Raja Bhaiya had to go to jail and a stint of Mulayam Singh's SP rule meant him becoming a minister, a reflection of the deep Dalit-Thakur divide in UP.
It now remains to be seen whether Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav will take action against Raja Bhaiya. The big questions remain:
- Will UP Chief minister Akhilesh Yadav ensure an unbiased probe against Raja Bhaiya?
- Was Raja Bhaiya responsible for sheltering Guddu Singh, one of the key accused in murder of policeman Zia-ul-Haq?
- Will this murder now become a political tool for BSP in Parliament to settle scores with SP?
- Why does the Samajwadi Party always favour Raja Bhaiya despite a long track record of crime against him?
- Uttar Pradesh policeman killing case: FIR registered against cabinet minister Raja Bhaiya
- Raja Bhaiya's controversial career: In jail under BSP rule, a minister in the SP govt