1993 Mumbai Blasts

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts: SC stays the execution of convict Yakub Memon June 2, 2014

    New Delhi: The Supreme Court has stayed the execution of death row convict Yakub Memon in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case. President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected Yakub's mercy plea. The court has also referred to the Constitution bench a plea that review petitions in death penalty cases should not...
  • 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Sanjay Dutt's parole ends today March 21, 2014

    Mumbai: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt's parole in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case will end on Friday. Dutt had been granted parole due to his wife Manyata's illness. Dutt, who is undergoing the remainder of his five-year jail term at Yerawada Central Jail in Pune, had already been granted a 30-day...
  • e Lounge: Bombay HC questions parole extension granted to Sanjay Dutt February 26, 2014

    The Bombay High Court on Tuesday questioned the parole extension for actor Sanjay Dutt. The court was hearing a petition which questioned the discretion used by authorities in granting parole and furlough to Dutt. "The state government should exercise its discretionary powers properly," the court said. ...
  • Parole extensions: Is Sanjay Dutt getting special treatment? February 25, 2014

    The Bombay High Court on Tuesday questioned the parole extension for actor Sanjay Dutt. The court was hearing a petition which questioned the discretion used by authorities in granting parole and furlough to Dutt. "The state government should exercise its discretionary powers properly," the court said. ...
  • MHA seeks report from Maharashtra on repeated parole to Sanjay Dutt February 24, 2014

    A week after actor Sanjay Dutt's parole was extended till March 21 in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, The Ministry of Home Affairs has now sought report from Maharashtra government on repeated parole to the actor. Earlier, Dutt's 30 day-parole was extended till February 19. The 54-year-old, who is undergoing the...
  • 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Sanjay Dutt again asks for parole extension February 9, 2014

    New Delhi: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt has once again sought an extension of his parole on the grounds of his wife's medical condition. If Dutt's application gets accepted, this will be the second extension granted to him. Earlier, Sanjay Dutt's parole in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case was extended up to...
  • 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Sanjay Dutt's parole extended up to Feb 19 January 20, 2014

    Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt's parole in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case has been extended up to February 19. Dutt, who is undergoing the remainder of his five-year jail term at Yerawada Central Jail in Pune in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, was out on a 30-day parole. Earlier this month,...
  • 1993 bomb blasts case: Sanjay Dutt granted 30 day parole December 6, 2013

    Pune: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt has been granted parole by the Pune police in the 1993 bomb blasts case. Pune Divisional Commissioner Prabhakar Deshmush said that the actor was granted parole on grounds of his wife's illness. "He has been granted one-month parole on the recommendation made by the prison officials....
  • Sanjay Dutt to return to Yerwada jail as his furlough ends today October 30, 2013

    Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt's furlough in the 1993 Bombay blasts case ends on Wednesday. He is expected to return to the Yerwada prison by Wednesday evening. The actor was released for a fortnight on medical grounds and was later granted another fortnight's extension. Dutt was sentenced to five years in...
  • Sanjay Dutt gets extension on leave of furlough October 14, 2013

    Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt was on Monday granted a 14-day extension of his leave of furlough, jail authorities said. Dutt, who left the Yerawada prison on October 1 after being sanctioned a 14-day leave of furlough, had sought further extension on medical ground. The 53-year-old actor was lodged in the jail in...
  • Sanjay Dutt seeks another 14-day extension of furlough from jail October 14, 2013

    Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt who was granted 14-day medical leave from Yerwada Central Jail, has reportedly asked for another 14-day extension. He says he needs more time for the treatment of his leg and with his family. The authorities are yet to confirm his extension. Sanjay Dutt stepped out of...
  • Watch: Sanjay Dutt thanks media for supporting him October 1, 2013

    Actor Sanjay Dutt has been granted 14 days furlough for treatment of his leg. He has already left from the Yerwada prison where he is serving a 42-month sentence for his role in the 1993 Mumbai blasts. ...
  • Sanjay Dutt gets 14-day furlough for the treatment of his leg October 1, 2013

    Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt has been granted 14 days furlough for treatment of his leg. He has already left from the Yerwada prison where he is serving a 42-month sentence for his role in the 1993 Mumbai blasts. The Yerwada prison authorities have cancelled a play that Sanjay Dutt was supposed...
  • Mumbai blast case convict dies in Pune jail hospital September 5, 2013

    Pune: A convict in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, lodged at the Yeravada prison here, died in the jail hospital following illness, officials said. Mohammed Pavale, who was suffering from pulmonary hypertension and undergoing treatment following complaint of breathlessness, died Wednesday night, they said. The 50-year-old convict, who hailed from Mumbai, was...
  • Dawood Ibrahim will be brought back to India, says Sushil Kumar Shinde September 2, 2013

    New Delhi: As he basks in glory after a string of arrests of several wanted terrorists during his tenure, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday said underworld don and India's most wanted fugitive Dawood Ibrahim will be also brought back to India to face justice. "We will bring one by one. All...
  • Police shifts 1993 blast convict to Nashik prission August 16, 2013

    Maharashtra Police today informed the Bombay High Court that a 70-year-old 1993 bomb blasts convict had been shifted from Kolhapur Central prison to Nashik Jail on medical ground. Taking this statement on record, a bench headed by Justice S C Dharmadhikari disposed of a petition filed by the prisoner, Mohammed Kasam...
  • 1993 Bombay blast case dossier never closed: MEA August 10, 2013

    New Delhi/London: A day after senior Pakistan diplomat admitted that one of India's most wanted terrorists Dawood Ibrahim was in his country, India on Saturday said the 1993 Bombay bomb blast dossier has "never" been closed and it will not rest till those responsible for the heinous attacks were brought...
  • TADA court to resume trial against Salem in 1993 blasts case August 8, 2013

    Mumbai: Two days after Supreme Court ruled that extradition of Abu Salem to India is still valid, a special TADA court in Mumbai on Wednesday asked prosecution and defence advocates to proceed with the trial against the gangster in the 1993 serial blasts case. Special court judge GA Sanap on...
  • 1993 Bombay blasts case: Supreme Court dismisses Sanjay Dutt's review petition against his conviction July 23, 2013

    New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed actor Sanjay Dutt's curative petition seeking review of his conviction in the 1993 Bombay blasts case. With this, Dutt has exhausted all legal options before him. Dutt had filed a review petition in the Supreme Court challenging his conviction and five-year jail term...
  • Abu Salem attack: Police arrest man who provided weapon to attacker July 3, 2013

    Mumbai: There seems to be a breakthrough the in investigation in the Abu Salem attack case as the Mumbai Police has detained the man who allegedly provided the weapon to Abu Salem's attacker in Taloba jail. The Mumbai Crime Branch arrested Manoj Lahmane, the man who allegedly smuggled the country-made...
  • Non-bailable warrant issued against Zaibunissa May 17, 2013

    Mumbai: A TADA court on Friday issued a non-bailable warrant against 1993 Bombay blasts co-accused Zaibunissa Kazi after she failed to surrender in the court on Friday, as per scheduled. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will execute this warrant. The daughter of 70-year-old Zaibunissa was likely to seek a day...
  • Sanjay Dutt likely to be shifted to Pune's Yerwada Jail soon May 17, 2013

    Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt spent his first night in jail in Mumbai's Arthur Road Jail on Thursday. He is awaiting an order which decides as to which jail will he be permanently shifted to. He is most likely to be taken to Pune's Yerwada Jail in a day or two,...
  • 1993 Bombay blasts: Sanjay Dutt surrenders in court May 16, 2013

    Mumbai: Amidst chaos, crowd and cameras, the 1993 Bombay blasts accused and Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt surrendered in a Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (TADA) court on Thursday afternoon to serve his three-and-a-half year sentence. A large number of media persons and onlookers surrounded Dutt's car as he reached the court. Dutt...
  • Live: Court allows home-cooked food to Sanjay Dutt in jail for a month May 16, 2013

    Mumbai: 4:27 pm: Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, who accompanied Sanjay Dutt to court, says, "Sanjay has surrendered in court and has asked for certain things like home-cooked food and medicines. There will be a new Sanjay Dutt when he comes back from the jail. 4:16 pm: Court allows home-cooked food, mattress, pillow...
  • 1993 Bombay blasts: Dutt to surrender in a TADA court today May 16, 2013

    Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt will finally surrender in a TADA court in Mumbai on Thursday in the 1993 Bombay blasts case. Earlier he had filed an application requesting to be allowed to surrender directly at Pune's Yerwada Jail expressing fears of being chased by the media and threats from fundamentalists....
  • Mumbai jail receives letter about threat to Sanjay Dutt's life May 15, 2013

    Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt on Wednesday told a court here that he will surrender before it on Thursday to undergo the prison term in the 1993 Bombay blasts case, even as a jail official said he would be provided adequate security in the wake of an anonymous letter alleging threat...
  • 1993 blasts: Sanjay Dutt to surrender at TADA court tomorrow May 15, 2013

    Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt will surrender at TADA court in Mumbai on Thursday in the 1993 Bombay blasts case. Dutt has withdrawn his application to surrender at Yerwada Jail in Pune which he had filed on Tuesday. Dutt's lawyer Subhash Jadhav informed the court that he wants to withdraw the...
  • 1993 Bombay blasts: Sanjay Dutt to surrender at TADA court May 15, 2013

    Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt will surrender at TADA court in Mumbai on Wednesday in the 1993 Bombay blasts case. Dutt has withdrawn his application to surrender at Yerwada Jail in Pune which he had filed on Tuesday. Dutt's lawyer informed the court that he wants to withdraw the application. Dutt had...
  • SC no to plea seeking more time for Sanjay Dutt May 14, 2013

    New Delhi: The Supreme Court has refused to entertain a petition by a Bollywood production house who sought an extension of time for actor Sanjay Dutt to surrender so that he could finish the shoot for its films. The two films that Dutt is currently shooting for are 'Policegiri' and...
  • SC rejects Sanjay Dutt's review plea in 1993 Bombay blasts case May 10, 2013

    New Delhi: The Supreme Court has rejected actor Sanjay Dutt's review petition in the 1993 Bombay blasts case saying there was no merit in the argument presented by him. Dutt had sought a review of the March 21 judgement upholding his conviction and five years jail in 1993 Bombay serial...