Los Angeles: An actress who said she was duped into appearing in an anti-Islam film that stoked violent protests against the United States across the Muslim world on Friday lost her second legal bid to force the video off of YouTube. Denying a request by actress Cindy Lee Garcia for a court order requiring the popular online video site to remove the crudely made 13-minute clip, a federal judge found she was unlikely to prevail on her claims of copyright infringement.
US District Judge Michael Fitzgerald of Santa Clara, California, also canceled a December 3 hearing he had previously set for oral arguments over Garcia's request. Garcia's lawyer, Cris Armenta, told Reuters she planned to appeal the decision.
The lawsuit, filed in September, names YouTube and its parent company Google Inc as defendants, along with the Egyptian-American Coptic Christian from California who was behind the making of the film. A previous motion by Garcia for a temporary restraining order against YouTube's continued posting of the video was rejected by a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge.
Garcia's case was the first known civil litigation stemming from the video, billed as a film trailer, which depicts the Prophet Mohammad as a fool and a sexual deviant. The clip sparked a torrent of anti-American unrest in Egypt, Libya and dozens of other Muslim countries over the past two weeks....more
12:07 PM, Dec 01, 2012
Bombay: The Bombay High Court will on Monday hear a writ petition seeking a ban on the 'anti-Islam' film that is at the centre of a huge controversy currently. The film, 'Innocence of Muslims' by US director Sam Bacile purportedly shows Islam in bad light. The movie, that went viral on the Internet, sparked violent protests in the Middle East and Asia, with Pakistan and some parts of India witnessing...
09:46 AM, Sep 24, 2012