Kabul: The orders from their religious teacher were clear, "Go to Afghanistan, strap on a suicide vest and kill foreign forces". With that, 9-year-old Ghulam Farooq left his home in Pakistan with three other would-be boy bombers and headed into eastern Afghanistan.
They were told there would be two members of the Taliban waiting for them at the Torkham border crossing in Nangarhar province. Instead, members of the Afghan intelligence service who had been tipped to the boys' plans arrested them at the border.
"Our mullah told us that when we carried out our suicide attacks, all the people around us would die, but we would stay alive," Farooq said on Saturday, sitting inside a juvenile detention facility in the Afghan capital.
He was one of five alleged suicide bombers - all boys in adolescence or even younger - whom the Afghan intelligence service paraded before reporters, photographers and cameramen at a news conference on May 7 in an effort to turn public opinion against the Taliban....more
07:40 PM, May 15, 2011