Sydney: The recall of two 35-year-old veterans for the Ashes shows the lack of quality coming through the Australian ranks, with the squad the "best of a bad lot", country's media said on Thursday.
Selectors picked Brad Haddin and Chris Rogers, with five openers among seven specialist batsmen alongside just one spinner, Nathan Lyon, for the five-match series starting in Nottingham on July 10.
Given the sorry state of Australian cricket following an ignominious 4-0 Test series drubbing in India last month, pundits bemoaned the lack of options.
"The resurrection of previously discarded veterans Brad Haddin and Chris Rogers for the Ashes has merely confirmed the soft underbelly of Australian cricket," Sydney Daily Telegraph cricket writer Malcolm Conn said....more
11:14 AM, Apr 25, 2013