FERNANDO ALONSO

  • Fernando Alonso has 'zero concerns' ahead of Malaysian GP return Yesterday

    Sepang: McLaren driver Fernando Alonso says he has "zero doubts and zero concerns" about returning to the car at this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix after the pre-season testing crash that ruled him out of the Formula One season opener. Alonso was passed fit for Sunday's race after undergoing more medical tests...
  • F1: Fernando Alonso return takes focus off Mercedes 2 days ago

    Formula One rolls into Malaysia this week for the second round of the championship at the Sepang International Circuit, where talk surrounding the utter dominance of Mercedes will for once take a back seat to the belated arrival of Fernando Alonso. The season-opening Australian Grand Prix bordered on the farcical as...
  • Fernando Alonso to return for McLaren in Malaysian Grand Prix 4 days ago

    London: McLaren driver Fernando Alonso has been cleared to race in the Malaysian Grand Prix after missing the Formula One season opener following a crash in testing. McLaren says the two-time world champion has followed a "rigorous, specialized training program" since last month's accident and he has now been passed fit...
  • Fernando Alonso back at work and preparing for Malaysia March 19, 2015

    London: McLaren's Fernando Alonso put in a day's work in the team's Formula One simulator on Wednesday ahead of his expected return to the racetrack in Malaysia next week after his crash in pre-season testing. The Spaniard told his followers on Twitter that it had been a "great day" at the...
  • FIA to continue probe into circumstances of Fernando Alonso crash March 13, 2015

    FIA race director Charlie Whiting says Formula One's governing body has no deadline on completion of an investigation into the cause and effects of Fernando Alonso's accident in preseason testing which has forced him to miss this weekend's season-opening race. Alonso's McLaren team says the Spaniard suffered concussion and will skip...
  • Five things to watch as F1 2015 season begins March 12, 2015

    With everyone looking to challenge Mercedes this year in Formula One, former world champions Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso will do so with new teams. Here are some things to look out for in the upcoming season, which begins in Melbourne, Australia, on March 15: BEST OF ENEMIES Lewis Hamilton and Nico...
  • Profiles of teams and drivers for the 2015 Formula One season March 11, 2015

    The evidence of pre-season testing strongly suggests the fight for this year's championship will again be a case of Mercedes vs the rest. The switch of four-time F1 champion Sebastian Vettel from Red Bull to Ferrari, and Fernando Alonso from Ferrari back to McLaren, will provide interesting subplots, but the...
  • Mercedes again the team to beat in Formula One 2015 March 11, 2015

    Two of Formula One's top drivers have made lucrative moves to new teams in 2015, so fans might think there will be a shake-up to last season's established order. They would be wrong. The evidence of pre-season testing strongly suggests the fight for this year's championship will again be a case of...
  • McLaren plays down Fernando Alonso memory loss March 7, 2015

    McLaren have confirmed Fernando Alonso suffered temporary memory loss in a testing crash last month but played down media reports that the double world champion forgot he was a Formula One driver. Spain's El Pais newspaper had reported on Thursday that the driver told doctors testing his recall when he regained...
  • McLaren braced for troubled start to new Honda era March 6, 2015

    London: McLaren start the Formula One season in Australia with star signing Fernando Alonso absent and recovering from concussion, a Honda engine that has yet to run sweetly and a car that has spent more time in the garage than testing on track. Crisis? What crisis? The team's racing director Eric Boullier,...
  • Carlos Sainz eager to be in the picture March 5, 2015

    London: Carlos Sainz will be as disappointed as any Formula One fan that Fernando Alonso will be absent from next week's Australian season opener. The 20-year-old Spaniard, whose double world rally champion father has the same name, has a treasured photograph from a decade ago of himself as a wide eyed...
  • Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix March 3, 2015

    Fernando Alonso will miss next week's season-opening Australian Formula One Grand Prix on doctors' advice after a heavy crash in testing, the Spaniard's McLaren team said on Tuesday. "Fernando has understood and accepted that advice, and the two McLaren-Honda cars will therefore be driven in Australia by Fernando's team-mate Jenson Button...
  • I am fine after crash, says Fernando Alonso February 27, 2015

    McLaren's Fernando Alonso assured his fans that he was fine on Friday in his first public comments since crashing heavily in Formula One testing last weekend. "As you can see, I am completely fine," the Spaniard, recovering at his home, said in a video message posted on YouTube. "I would like to...
  • Formula One: McLaren misery mounts, Massa puts Williams on top at F1 test February 26, 2015

    Montmelo: McLaren's misery mounted after another malfunction left Jenson Button stranded Thursday as Felipe Massa steered Williams to the fastest lap during Formula One preseason testing. A hydraulic leak that McLaren says will require it to change its new Honda engine limited Button to a session-low seven laps and slowest lap...
  • Fernando Alonso 'completely fine' after crash, says Ron Dennis February 26, 2015

    Barcelona: Fernando Alonso is "devoid of all injuries" from Sunday's crash in testing and is expected to line up on the grid for the season-opening race in Australia next month, McLaren boss Ron Dennis said on Thursday. According to Dennis the 33-year-old Alonso was knocked unconscious "for a few seconds" after...
  • Fernando Alonso leaves hospital, to miss final test February 25, 2015

    Barcelona: McLaren Formula One driver Fernando Alonso will miss this week's final pre-season test in Barcelona after leaving hospital on Wednesday following a big crash three days ago. The Spaniard, a double world champion, smiled and waved to reporters and fans as he left the hospital at around 1430 local time. McLaren...
  • Fernando Alonso making 'solid recovery' after crash in F1 testing February 23, 2015

    Spain: McLaren driver Fernando Alonso is making a "solid recovery" after being concussed following a crash in Formula One testing and is staying in hospital for further observation. The Spanish driver escaped serious injury, but was airlifted by helicopter to the hospital for precautionary checks after his McLaren collided with a...
  • Fernando Alonso taken to hospital after crash at Barcelona February 22, 2015

    Spain:Fernando Alonso has been taken to hospital by helicopter after crashing in his McLaren during Formula One preseason testing on Sunday. Track officials at the Barcelona-Catalunya circuit say Alonso went off at turn three and hit the wall. They say he was transported to hospital "to continue with medical tests" after...
  • F1: All eyes on Fernando Alonso and McLaren in Jerez January 30, 2015

    London: Local hero Fernando Alonso will be the centre of attention when Formula One's pre-season testing starts up in southern Spain on Sunday, but the McLaren driver has done his best to lower expectations. As the Spaniard warned fans when the new McLaren-Honda MP4-30 was unveiled on Thursday, there are sure...
  • Fernando Alonso a top target for Mercedes if Lewis Hamilton leaves January 2, 2015

    Fernando Alonso would be top of the list for Mercedes if Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton fails to agree a new deal with the team beyond this year, according to motorsport director Toto Wolff. Hamilton, who took his second championship in 2014 after winning 11 races, has yet to put pen...
  • Fernando Alonso has unfinished business at McLaren December 12, 2014

    'Never say never' has always been a popular saying in Formula One and Fernando Alonso's return to McLaren proves the point. The team's announcement on Thursday that the double world champion will race for them next season with 2009 champion Jenson Button came as no surprise, since it had been widely...
  • McLaren name Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button as 2015 drivers December 11, 2014

    Spain's double world champion Fernando Alonso and Britain's Jenson Button will drive for Honda-powered McLaren next season, the Formula One team said on Thursday. Alonso's return to Woking, seven years after he left following an acrimonious season as 2007 team-mate to then-rookie Lewis Hamilton, had been an open secret for months...
  • McLaren set to announce 2015 drivers December 11, 2014

    McLaren are set to announce the return of Fernando Alonso at a news conference on Thursday with British media tipping the Formula One team to retain Jenson Button in a lineup of champions. The team, who are starting a new partnership with Honda and have yet to announce a title sponsor,...
  • Jenson Button waits as McLaren fail to decide December 4, 2014

    Jenson Button waited for news about his Formula One future on Thursday as the McLaren board failed to decide who will partner Spaniard Fernando Alonso in their 2015 driver lineup. While Alonso is yet to be confirmed, despite leaving Ferrari, his return to Woking is taken for granted within the sport. That...
  • Alonso hits back at Ferrari boss Mattiacci November 23, 2014

    Abu Dhabi: Fernando Alonso has hit back at Ferrari principal Marco Mattiacci for saying that Sebastian Vettel would bring "the utmost motivation and commitment" to the Formula One team when he replaces the Spaniard next season. "I heard the comments and I don't think they were very good," Alonso told reporters...
  • Fernando Alonso expressed doubts to Ferrari last year November 20, 2014

    Abu Dhabi: Fernando Alonso revealed on Thursday that he had doubts about staying at Ferrari even last year and had told former chairman Luca Di Montezemolo months ago that he knew he wanted out. "It was not a special moment of the year that I opened my eyes," the Spaniard told...
  • Fernando Alonso leaves Ferrari, Sebastian Vettel replaces him November 20, 2014

    Two-time Formula One champion Fernando Alonso is leaving Ferrari after the final race of the season and will be replaced by four-time champion Sebastian Vettel. The 33-year-old Spanish driver had said earlier this season that his future was elsewhere, likely at McLaren. Moments after Ferrari announced Alonso's departure on Thursday, the...
  • Hamilton and Alonso hope Button stays in F1 November 7, 2014

    Lewis Hamilton says McLaren would be making a mistake to ditch his former team-mate Jenson Button at the end of the Formula One season and should focus instead on building a better car. "He's still got plenty of time in his capability as a driver to keep racing and winning," the...
  • Fernando Alonso denies deal with McLaren, remains undecided November 6, 2014

    Fernando Alonso says he has not signed with McLaren for next season and remains undecided about his future in Formula One. The two-time world champion says he is still "considering what's the best decision" for his career and "nothing has been decided" so far even though he already has "an idea"...
  • Fernando Alonso excited for future, but won't reveal plan October 31, 2014

    Facing rapid-fire and persistent questions about his future, Ferrari's Fernando Alonso would only smile and say he's making big plans and ready to win again. What they are exactly, he's not ready to say. Alonso on Thursday acknowledged speculation that the former two-time world champion could leave Ferrari after this season, his...