Melbourne: An Australian court on Friday ordered the fast food giant KFC to pay 8 million Australian dollars to the parents of a Sydney girl who was left paralysed and brain damaged after eating its chicken twister.
Monika Samaan fell seriously ill with salmonella poisoning after eating at the Villawood KFC in 2005, according to media reports. The then-seven-year-old was in a coma for six months and acquired spastic quadraplegia with severe brain damage.
A New South Wales Supreme Court judge on Friday ruled KFC will have to pay 8 million Australian dollars plus legal costs after the lengthy litigation case.
KFC denied it was responsible for the poisoning and said it will appeal the decision. In a statement, the restaurant said the case was clearly tragic but they were "deeply disappointed and surprised" by Judge Rothman's decision....more
12:11 PM, Apr 27, 2012