SHOCK

  • China gives men a chance to experience pain of childbirth December 11, 2014

    A hospital in eastern China is offering fathers-to-be a chance to experience the pain of childbirth after several new moms complained they got little sympathy from their partners. For the simulations, pads attached to a device are placed above the abdomen, giving electric shocks that induce pain. ...
  • In shock. My deep condolences to the family of Phillip Hughes: Russell Crowe reacts to Australian cricketer's death November 28, 2014

    Sydney: Actor Russell Crowe has paid tribute to Australian cricketer Phil Hughes, who died after suffering a serious injury while playing. Hughes passed away at a hospital here two days after suffering a serious head injury during a match, and his death has sparked an outpouring of grief among cricket fans...
  • 'Shell Shock' opera brings trauma of World War One to stage October 25, 2014

    (Reuters) - Belgian composer Nicholas Lens and Australian rocker Nick Cave have joined forces to create an opera marking the centenary of World War One, depicting the horrors of the conflict through the eyes of soldiers, deserters, a nurse and an orphan. "Shell Shock" debuted at La Monnaie opera house in...
  • 2 women 'given electric shocks' inside a police station in Kapurthala September 24, 2014

    Kapurthala: Two women accused in a theft case were allegedly given electric shocks inside a police station in Bholath area, following which an Assistant Sub-Inspector was suspended. Senior Superintendent of Police Dhanpreet Kaur said ASI Raghbir Singh was suspended for his alleged involvement in the incident. An inquiry was also...
  • Three of a family die of electric shock July 17, 2014

    Three members of a family died after they suffered an electric shock at their residence in Khargone, police said. The mishap occurred when Naveen Chandra Kansare was taking a bath, following which he suffered an electric shock and got trapped inside the bathroom, Brajesh Malviya, Kotwali police station incharge said. Kansare's sons...
  • Six, including four children, receive serious burn injuries after coming in contact with live wire May 9, 2014

    At least six persons, including four children, received serious burn injuries from a live electric wire after it accidentally snapped and fell on shops and houses in Bihar's Bhagalpur district on Friday, police said. The incident took place in Akchari village under Rasulpur police station area, they said. Properties worth about...
  • Inflated electric bill shocks Ghaziabad consumer, turns CJ to fight his case March 24, 2014

    In this report, CJ Aftab Ahmed is highlighting the erroneous electricity billing by the Ghaziabad electricity department. Aftab has been billed for more than four lakh rupees towards his monthly electricity charges which he claims is way above his usage. ...
  • 66yearold Chinese man goes to doctor, finds out he's a woman June 5, 2013

    Beijing: In a shocking discovery, a 66yearold "apparently" male patient in Hong Kong found himself to be a woman when he went to a hospital seeking treatment for abdominal swelling. Doctors found that the the swelling was a cyst on his ovary and he was in fact a woman. The case...
  • Lucknow Police allegedly gave 5yrold electric shocks April 10, 2013

    New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Wednesday issued a notice to Uttar Pradesh Police for allegedly "torturing" a fiveyearold boy by subjecting him to electric shocks. "The NHRC has taken suo motu cognizance of a media report that in an alleged case of theft, a fiveyearold boy...
  • Casio releases new GShock watch November 29, 2012

    New Delhi: Casio Computer Co Ltd announced the release of the GWA1000, a new addition to the GSHOCK line of aviator concept watches. The new GWA1000 is said to be the first GSHOCK watch to come with Smart Access, which enables convenient, simple operation of the watch's features. It is...
  • AP: 2 years on, rescued girl still trembles with fear August 30, 2012

    Nellore: Boochodu is how sevenyearold Narthana remembers R Nagesh, the lover of her mother Nagachaitanya. Even two years after she was rescued from the clutches of her mother and Nagesh, who tortured the girl for unwittingly making their affair public, Narthana trembles whenever she hears Nageshs name. The mother...
  • My photographs have been misused: Suma Guha August 29, 2012

    The actress of Kannada films 'Preethiyinda Ramesh' and 'Shock', Suma Guha is in complete shock and dismay for misusing her photographs in the internet. Four photographs of Suma Guha were picked up and was slightly altered by an individual Sonam for her website. Suma Guha has disclosed that her...
  • Add to party checklist: A licence from Bangalore police August 8, 2012

    Bangalore: Planning to host a party? Think twice. The Bangalore police, quoting rules, are cracking down on partying without a licence anywhere apart from your home. Permission from the areas police before hosting a party is now mandatory, said Additional Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) T Sunil Kumar. Accordingly,...
  • Kerala: Shock over Left's bitter pill for public August 7, 2012

    Kochi/Thiruvananthapuram: The Left trade unions plan to inflict more pain on the public with 72hour strikes has been viewed with concern by members of the public, including legal experts, and leaders of other political parties. Coming down heavily on the left trade unions for such drastic steps, they have demanded...
  • BSY to shock BJP by meeting Pawar in May April 26, 2012

    Belgaum:Former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa is expected to meet Union Agriculture Minister and Nationalist Congress Party president Sharad Pawar in the first week of May, for reasons that have not come out in the open yet. However, sources said that Yeddyurappa is planning to give a shock to the BJP...
  • Mumbai: 25,000 volts to 'shock' rooftop travellers January 30, 2012

    Mumbai: Habitual rooftop passengers on suburban local trains, get ready for the shock of your lives, quite literally. Western Railway (WR) is in the process of completing the longpending project of switching over to a 25,000volt alternating current (AC) from the present 1,500volt direct current (DC) by February 5. This...
  • Burnt rooftop traveller flees hospital, lights up January 13, 2012

    Mumbai: It can only be described as bizarre. A man in his early forties became the latest victim of rooftop train travel after he sustained severe burns due to electrocution on Thursday around 5.40 pm at Dahisar. Train services got delayed and the unidentified man was admitted to Bhagwati Hospital...
  • Tiny shocks help schizophrenics do better August 1, 2011

    Sydney: Brain function in schizophrenia improves after being subjected to very mild, painless electrical currents through electrodes on the scalp. In a recent study using a technique called transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS), scientists from Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA) have shown that brain function in schizophrenics can improve after applying the...
  • Pune airport: Girl nearly electrocuted, safety measures? March 3, 2009

    Pune: It was a brush with death for the young law student. Kanika Sharma had gone to the Pune airport on Saturday evening to receive a friend. She was leaning against a railing and talking on her mobile phone, when she suddenly collapsed. "We were coming out of the airport...
  • Sneak peek: Bottle Shock, a film for wine afficiandos July 5, 2008

    Bottle Shock, a film based on a true story about the 1976's "Judgement of Paris" a wine competition between wines from France and California. It was the event that shocked the wine world, and put California wines on the map. ...
  • Electric shocks, boot camp for Chinese Net nuts December 21, 2007

    Cyber addiction among youth is becoming an increasingly common problem. China is now making the issue a national priority and is setting up government funded rehab clinics. Treatments range from controversial shock therapy, to hypnosis and boot camp. Experts say that kids who lack confidence and cannot cope with pressure...
  • Teacher gives electric shock to kids, out on bail December 20, 2007

    Jalgaon (Maharashtra): Handcuffed and shamed Sumant Mishra, a teacher, lost his job after he was accused of giving electric shock, using a laboratory instrument, to 16 students of eighth and ninth standards in Central Railway English School because they were not paying attention in class. We have received the complaint about...
  • Woman dies of shock as bank penalises loan defaultor October 5, 2007

    Mumbai: When 60yearold Suhasini Mangaokar agreed to become a guarantor for a neighbour's loan, she had no idea what was in store for her. The loanborrower, Bhupendra Mungekar, didn't pay back a single rupee of his Rs 30,000 loan from the Sridhar Cooperative Credit Society in Dahisar. Six months ago,...