FORMULA ONE

  • Lotus pick Jolyon Palmer as third driver for 2015 January 20, 2015

    London: Formula One team Lotus has picked GP2 champion Jolyon Palmer as their third driver for this year. Palmer, who last year became the first British driver to win the GP2 series since Lewis Hamilton in 2006, will attend all grands prix for Lotus and drive in some practice sessions. He will...
  • Former F1 and Le Mans driver Robert Manzon dies January 20, 2015

    Paris: Robert Manzon, the last surviving driver of Formula One's inaugural season in 1950, has died. He was 97. Manzon, a member of the 24 Hours of Le Mans hall of fame, died at his home in Cassis, in Southern France, Le Mans organizers said on Tuesday. Born in Marseille, the Simca-Gordini...
  • Five F1 races, including Australia, to start earlier January 20, 2015

    Formula One's Australian season-opener in Melbourne on March 15 is one of five grands prix that will start an hour earlier this year under recommendations made after Jules Bianchi's crash in Japan last October. Formula One Management (FOM) detailed the start times for the 20 race season in a document sent...
  • Boost for McLaren after Honda win engine argument January 17, 2015

    London: McLaren have been given a boost after Formula One's governing body tweaked the rules to allow Honda, the team's new partner, to develop their engine this season in line with rival manufacturers. The Japanese company, who have replaced Mercedes at McLaren, are returning to Formula One as the sport's fourth...
  • Don't rush to F1, says Lewis Hamilton's dad January 16, 2015

    London: Every young racer wants to be the next Lewis Hamilton but most are in too much of a hurry to give themselves the best chance of success. That is the considered view of Hamilton's father Anthony, who by his own admission did not know what he was getting into when...
  • Hockenheim to host German GP, says Bernie Ecclestone January 15, 2015

    Hockenheim will host this year's German Grand Prix in July instead of alternating with the Nuerburgring, Formula One's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone told Reuters on Thursday. "It's going to be at Hockenheim, we're in the middle of doing something with them. It can't be Nuerburgring because there's nobody there," said the...
  • Jules Bianchi crash could lead to Malaysia GP change January 15, 2015

    London: This year's Malaysian Formula One Grand Prix may start earlier as a safety precaution following Jules Bianchi's horrific crash in Japan last October, Sepang circuit boss Razlan Razali told Reuters on Wednesday. Razali, speaking after contract renewal talks in London with commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone, said they discussed returning the...
  • Ferrari to present new F1 car online on January 30 January 9, 2015

    Ferrari will present their new Formula One car online on January 30, a day after McLaren take the wraps off their Honda-powered challenger. Ferrari, with four times champion Sebastian Vettel signed from Red Bull, said in a statement that the as-yet unnamed successor to the F14T car would be presented to...
  • Korean Grand Prix dropped from F1 calendar January 7, 2015

    The Korean Formula One Grand Prix has been formally dropped from the 2015 calendar after its surprise inclusion last month for contractual reasons. A revised 20-race calendar, starting in Australia on March 15, appeared on the governing International Automobile Federation's website (www.fia.com). An FIA spokesman confirmed the race had been removed because...
  • French Formula One winner Beltoise dies at 77 January 5, 2015

    French former Formula One driver Jean-Pierre Beltoise, who won the Monaco Grand Prix in torrential rain in 1972, died on Monday at the age of 77. The French motor sport federation (FFSA) paid tribute to Beltoise, whose Monaco victory was the 17th and last by the now-defunct BRM team, in a...
  • Fernando Alonso a top target for Mercedes if Lewis Hamilton leaves January 2, 2015

    Fernando Alonso would be top of the list for Mercedes if Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton fails to agree a new deal with the team beyond this year, according to motorsport director Toto Wolff. Hamilton, who took his second championship in 2014 after winning 11 races, has yet to put pen...
  • F1 driver Jenson Button starts the year as a married man January 1, 2015

    London: McLaren Formula One driver Jenson Button entered the New Year as a married man after tying the knot with long-term girlfriend Jessica Michibata in Hawaii. "Happy New Year from Mr & Mrs Button," the 2009 world champion told his 1.9 million followers on Twitter shortly after midnight. "We're excited to...
  • F1: Jules Bianchi still unconscious, begins therapy December 30, 2014

    French Formula One driver Jules Bianchi remains unconscious but has begun a programme of rehabilitation therapy, his family said in a statement on Tuesday. Bianchi, who suffered the most serious F1 race injury since Ayrton Senna died in 1994 when he crashed into a recovery tractor in the wet at the...
  • F1 legend Michael Schumacher faces 'long fight' to recovery, says manager December 28, 2014

    Michael Schumacher faces a "long fight" for recovery as the first anniversary of his skiing accident approaches, the former Formula One driver's manager said on Sunday. Her comments cast doubts over a newspaper report that said he was making cognitive progress. "We need a long time. It's going to be a long...
  • F1: Ferrari, McLaren take a hit from Marussia collapse December 28, 2014

    Ferrari and McLaren stand to lose millions as a result of the collapse of the Marussia Formula One team, the Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported. It said documents from administrators FRP Advisory dated Dec. 18 showed that Ferrari, Formula One's oldest and most successful team, were owed 16.6 million pounds ($25.81 million)...
  • Red Bull retain Sebastien Buemi as F1 reserve driver December 23, 2014

    Switzerland's Sebastien Buemi will start his fifth year as Red Bull reserve driver next season, the Formula One team said on Tuesday. Former Toro Rosso racer Buemi won the world endurance championship for Toyota this season, with Britain's Anthony Davidson, and has also raced in the new Formula E electric series. "He's...
  • F1: Ferrari braced for another hard year in 2015 December 22, 2014

    Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne drew a line under a dismal year for Formula One's most glamorous and successful team on Monday but made clear that 2015 would also be a season of struggle. Speaking at a news conference before Christmas lunch at the team's Fiorano test track, Marchionne left no doubt...
  • Bernie Ecclestone back on F1 board, to stay as CEO December 19, 2014

    London: Bernie Ecclestone's control of Formula One was fully restored on Thursday after overcoming court cases that threatened his grip on the motorsport series. The 84-year-old Ecclestone stepped down as a board member of F1's holding company this year while standing trial for bribery in Germany. The case was closed in...
  • F1: Stolen Red Bull trophies found in lake December 17, 2014

    Silverware stolen from the Red Bull Formula One factory in Milton Keynes has been found in a lake, police said on Tuesday. Around 20 trophies have been retrieved of the 60 taken when thieves raided the factory 10 days ago, using a vehicle to drive through the front entrance. The silverware was...
  • F1 had to schedule Korean GP, says Bernie Ecclestone December 12, 2014

    South Korea does not want a Formula One race next year but it was included on the calendar anyway for legal reasons, according to the sport's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone. "They (local organisers) would rather it not happen," he told reporters. "We have a contract with Korea... we have to put it...
  • Fernando Alonso has unfinished business at McLaren December 12, 2014

    'Never say never' has always been a popular saying in Formula One and Fernando Alonso's return to McLaren proves the point. The team's announcement on Thursday that the double world champion will race for them next season with 2009 champion Jenson Button came as no surprise, since it had been widely...
  • F1: Jenson Button feels like he's starting afresh December 12, 2014

    Jenson Button said the wait was worth it and he felt like he was starting over again in Formula One after signing a new two-year contract with McLaren. The Briton, the most experienced driver on the starting grid and 35 years old next January, will partner Spaniard Fernando Alonso in a...
  • F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone rules out being reined in December 12, 2014

    Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has dismissed talk of a new chairman trying to 'rein him in' and says he plans to continue running the company as if he owned it. Speaking to reporters on Thursday, the 84-year-old billionaire made clear it was business as usual. Ecclestone said he was back on...
  • McLaren name Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button as 2015 drivers December 11, 2014

    Spain's double world champion Fernando Alonso and Britain's Jenson Button will drive for Honda-powered McLaren next season, the Formula One team said on Thursday. Alonso's return to Woking, seven years after he left following an acrimonious season as 2007 team-mate to then-rookie Lewis Hamilton, had been an open secret for months...
  • Formula One: Daniel Ricciardo itching to get back behind wheel December 11, 2014

    Melbourne: Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo cannot wait to get back behind the wheel in a bid for redemption at his home Australian Grand Prix where a controversial disqualification robbed him of a maiden podium last season. Ricciardo thrilled home fans when he finished second at Albert Park in March but...
  • McLaren set to announce 2015 drivers December 11, 2014

    McLaren are set to announce the return of Fernando Alonso at a news conference on Thursday with British media tipping the Formula One team to retain Jenson Button in a lineup of champions. The team, who are starting a new partnership with Honda and have yet to announce a title sponsor,...
  • Bernie Ecclestone disappointed by Sebastian Vettel's attitude December 8, 2014

    Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has criticised four times world champion Sebastian Vettel for the way he reacted to failure this year. The German, who has now left Red Bull for Ferrari, ended the season without a win after dominating the previous four championships. Red Bull started the season on the back...
  • Sebastian Vettel and I would push Ferrari in right direction: Raikkonen December 6, 2014

    Abu Dhabi: Former Formula One champion Kimi Raikkonen said that the inclusion of Sebastian Vettel will certainly help them revive Ferrari's fortunes in the Championship next year, after a disappointing end to the 2014 season. Ferrari struggled to a fourth-place finish in the Constructors' Championship while Raikkonen was outshone by team-mate...